Rate cost problem: a gasoline tank is leaking at the rate of n gallons in t hours...

wramzoic

Hi - here is the problem:

"a gasoline tank is leaking at the rate of n gallons in t hours. If the gasoline cost $2 per gallon, what is the value of the gasoline lost in m minutes"

I'm looking for the most intuitive, elegant solution

thanks!

"a gasoline tank is leaking at the rate of n gallons in t hours. If the gasoline cost $2 per gallon, what is the value of the gasoline lost in m minutes"

thanks!
What are your thoughts?

Please share your work with us ...even if you know it is wrong.

If you are stuck at the beginning tell us and we'll start with the definitions.

You need to read the rules of this forum. Please read the post titled "Read before Posting" at the following URL:

http://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/announcement.php?f=33

"A gasoline tank is leaking at the rate of n gallons in t hours. If the gasoline cost $2 per gallon, what is the value of the gasoline lost in m minutes?"

Please reply with a listing of all of your solutions thus far. When you reply, please include your definitions of "intuitive" (for example, for what age group?) and "elegant", as well as specification of whether you expect one solution to fulfill both criteria.

Please be complete. Thank you! ;)

gas question

Please reply with a listing of all of your solutions thus far. When you reply, please include your definitions of "intuitive" (for example, for what age group?) and "elegant", as well as specification of whether you expect one solution to fulfill both criteria.

Please be complete. Thank you! ;)

How much gas can your car hold?

Is the gas regular or premium unleaded?

Is the gas 100% gasoline or a mixture of gas and ethanol (like 92% gas, 8% ethanol)?

So many factors in this problem.

thanks!

Hey Wramzoic ;),

n gallons ÷ t hours = n/t gallons per hour are leaking.

n/t gallons x $2 for each gallon = 2n/t dollars per hour is the value of the leaking gasoline.

Now we know that the value of the leaking gasoline is 2n/t dollars per hour, but we want per minute. To find the value per minute, simply divide by 60:

2n/t
÷ 60 = 2n/t x 1/60 = 2n/60t

The value of the leaking gasoline is 2n/60t dollars per minute and we have m minutes

2n/60t dollars x m minutes = 2nm/60t dollars

2nm/60t is the value of the gasoline that will be lost in m minutes.

Cheers
:cool:!

Last edited: