i need help with college homework: Mai, Boris, and Hong have a total of $62...

promo22

Mai, Boris, and Hong have a total of [FONT=&quot]$[FONT=&quot]62[/FONT]

[/FONT]
in their wallets. Mai has [FONT=&quot]$[FONT=&quot]10[/FONT]

[/FONT]
less than Hong. Boris has [FONT=&quot]2

[/FONT]
times what Hong has. How much does each have?

Mai, Boris, and Hong have a total of $62 in their wallets. Mai has $10 less than Hong. Boris has 2 times what Hong has. How much does each have?

Start with naming names:

Let the amount of money in:

Mai's wallet = M

Boris's wallet = B

Hong's wallet = H

Then:

Mai, Boris, and Hong have a total of $62 → M + B + H = 62 ........................................(1)

Mai has $10 less than Hong
M + 10 = H .............................................................(2)

Boris has 2 times what Hong has →
B = 2 * H .........................................................(3)

3 equations and 3 unknowns - solve using your favorite method.

Start with naming names:

Let the amount of money in:

Mai's wallet = M

Boris's wallet = B

Hong's wallet = H

Then:

Mai, Boris, and Hong have a total of $62 → M + B + H = 62 ........................................(1)

Mai has $10 less than Hong
M + 10 = H .............................................................(2)

Boris has 2 times what Hong has →
B = 2 * H .........................................................(3)

3 equations and 3 unknowns - solve using your favorite method.

Since B = 2*H, substitute 2*H in for B in the first equation. Thus, M + 2*H + H = 62, or M + 3*H = 62.
Now, subtract 10 from H to solve or M in the second equation. M = H - 10. Substitute (H - 10) in for M in the first equation. This gives you 4H + 10 = 62, which is a simple two-step equation to solve. When all is said and done, you should have $13 for Hong, $23 for Mai, and $26 for Boris.

Mai, Boris, and Hong have a total of $62 in their wallets. Mai has $10 less than Hong. Boris has 2 times what Hong has. How much does each have?
Since you posted this to "Arithmetic", it is safe to assume that you've not yet taken pre-algebra yet, so you don't know anything about variables or solving systems of equations.

Mai and Boris are defined in terms of Hong. Draw a box for Hong's amount:

Code:
Hong:

|    |
|    |
You are told that Boris' amount is twice Hong's amount. Draw a picture that shows this.

You are told that Mai has ten less than Hong. In other words, if you add ten to the total (to get 72), Mai could have the same amount as Hong. Draw a picture that shows this.

How many boxes do you now have? (Hint: Add.) What total does this represent? (Hint: Copy from previous paragraph.) How much then does each box represent? (Hint: Divide.) Then how much does Hong have? (Hint: Copy.) How much does Boris have? (Hint: Multiply.) How much does Mai have? (Hint: Subtract the added-in ten.)

If you get stuck, please reply showing your boxes and your arithmetic so far. Thank you! ;)

Since B = 2*H, substitute 2*H in for B in the first equation. Thus, M + 2*H + H = 62, or M + 3*H = 62.
Now, subtract 10 from H to solve or M in the second equation. M = H - 10. Substitute (H - 10) in for M in the first equation. This gives you 4H + 10 = 62, which is a simple two-step equation to solve. When all is said and done, you should have $13 for Hong, $23 for Mai, and $26 for Boris.

This is not correct! Mai has $10 LESS than Hong not MORE!

Correct answer is:

M + B + H = 62

We know B equals ( 2H ) and M equals ( H-10 ) so:

H - 10 + 2H + H = 62

4H - 10 = 62

4H = 62 +10

4H = 72

H = 72/4 =18

So Hong has $18

Since Boris has 2 times what Hong has,

B = 18 x 2 = $36

So Boris has $36

Since Mai has $10 less than Hong,

M= 18 - 10 = $8

So Mai has $8

Cheers :cool:!

thank you

This is not correct! Mai has $10 LESS than Hong not MORE!

Correct answer is:

M + B + H = 62

We know B equals ( 2H ) and M equals ( H-10 ) so:

H - 10 + 2H + H = 62

4H - 10 = 62

4H = 62 +10

4H = 72

H = 72/4 =18

So Hong has $18

Since Boris has 2 times what Hong has,

B = 18 x 2 = $36

So Boris has $36

Since Mai has $10 less than Hong,

M= 18 - 10 = $8

So Mai has $8

Cheers :cool:!

Thank you for showing me the error. I admit that I was a little sleepy when I worked this problem out...those pesky signs got me again. :)