Matrix Multiplication

ksdhart2

Matrix Multiplication; Prove that [tex]S_{\theta }^n=S_{n\theta}[/tex]

Hi all,

I'm having some difficulties with my Linear Algebra course. I've solved part (i), and part (iii) seems fairly straightforward if I can solve part (ii).

2) For any angle \(\displaystyle \theta\), let \(\displaystyle S_{\theta }=\begin{pmatrix}cos\left(\theta \right)&-sin\left(\theta \right)\\ sin\left(\theta \right)&cos\left(\theta \right)\end{pmatrix}\)

(i) Prove that \(\displaystyle S_{\alpha }\times \:S_{\beta }=S_{\alpha +\beta }\) for any angles \(\displaystyle \alpha \text{ and } \beta\).

(ii) Prove that \(\displaystyle S_{\theta }^n=S_{n\theta }\) for any natural number n.

(iii) If \(\displaystyle N=\begin{pmatrix}\frac{1}{2}&-\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\\ \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}&\frac{1}{2}\end{pmatrix}\), find N2, N3, N4, N5, and N231, using your results from part (ii)

Part (i) was really straightforward, just a matter of using the known trig identities and showing that they were equal to the dot products.

Now, for part (ii) I can see that it holds true for n=2 and n=3, just by doing by the matrix multiplication, but how can I prove it works for any natural n? The only way I can think of to do that would be to use eigenvalues and/or eigenvectors, but we haven't learned about those yet, so I highly doubt that's the intended method... any advice on what I might be missing?

Last edited:
Hi all,

I'm having some difficulties with my Linear Algebra course. I've solved part (i), and part (iii) seems fairly straightforward if I can solve part (ii).

Part (i) was really straightforward, just a matter of using the known trig identities and showing that they were equal to the dot products.

Now, for part (ii) I can see that it holds true for n=2 and n=3, just by doing by the matrix multiplication, but how can I prove it works for any natural n? The only way I can think of to do that would be to use eigenvalues and/or eigenvectors, but we haven't learned about those yet, so I highly doubt that's the intended method... any advice on what I might be missing?

It can be done using Proof by Induction - have you learnt that method of proof yet?

Oh, wow. That makes so much more sense than what I was trying. That hint, plus looking at the problem again with refreshed eyes and a refreshed brain helped me see exactly what I'd been missing. Thanks so much!

Using the results from part (i), letting \(\displaystyle \alpha=\beta=\theta\):

\(\displaystyle S_{\theta }\times S_{\theta }=S_{\theta +\theta} \Rightarrow S^2_{\theta }=S_{2\theta }\)

Assume it works for n=k:

\(\displaystyle S^k_{\theta }=S_{k \theta }\)

Prove it for n = k + 1:

\(\displaystyle S_{\theta }^{k+1}=S_{\left(k+1\right)\theta }\)

\(\displaystyle S_{\theta }^k\times S_{\theta }=S_{k \theta +\theta }\)

Returning to part (i) again:

\(\displaystyle S_{k \theta +\theta }=S_{k\theta }\times S_{\theta }\)

The left and right sides are equal, so that's the end of my proof.

Oh, wow. That makes so much more sense than what I was trying. That hint, plus looking at the problem again with refreshed eyes and a refreshed brain helped me see exactly what I'd been missing. Thanks so much!

\(\displaystyle S_{\theta }\times S_{\theta }=S_{\theta +\theta} \Rightarrow S^2_{\theta }=S_{2\theta }\)

Assume it works for n=k:

\(\displaystyle S^k_{\theta }=S_{k \theta }\) Yes, this is your assumption.

Prove it for n = k + 1:

\(\displaystyle S_{\theta }^{k+1}=S_{\left(k+1\right)\theta }\) This is what you need to prove. You need to prove this statement based on your assumption above. It will require going back to the original matrix.

see comment in red

Assume it works for n=k:

\(\displaystyle S^k_{\theta }=S_{k \theta }\)

Prove it for n = k + 1:

\(\displaystyle S_{\theta }^{k+1}=S_{\left(k+1\right)\theta }\)

Very good! :) Now you can use the result for part iii.