How many games did they play

falcios

I'm stuck on this problem. Can you please show step by step how to solve?

The Tigers had a season of wins, losses andties last season. They won ⅔ of the games they played. If they lost ¾ of theremaining games, and tied the rest, how many games did they play in total ifthey tied 3 games last season?

Thanks

The Tigers had a season of wins, losses and ties last season. They won ⅔ of the games they played. If they lost ¾ of the remaining games, and tied the rest, how many games did they play in total ifthey tied 3 games last season?

Thanks

Start with naming names.

Since you are asked to calculate number of games played - let

The number of games played by the Tigers = T

Continue...

You already have loads of worked solutions in your textbook, your class notes, and in the online lessons you've studied, so one more worked example obviously isn't likely to make much difference. Instead, now it's time to try something yourself. That's how we learn!

The Tigers had a season of wins, losses, and ties last season. They won ⅔ of the games they played. If they lost ¾ of the remaining games, and tied the rest, how many games did they play in total if they tied 3 games last season?
Since you posted this to "Pre-Algebra", I'll assume that you don't know anything about variables, equations, etc, and will provide tips using grammar-school arithmetic.

They tell you that, of "the rest", they lost 3/4 and tied 3.

If they lost 3/4 of "the rest", then what fraction of "the rest" did they tie? (Hint: Subtract.)

If 3 is this fraction of "the rest", then how many is the 3/4 of "the rest"? (Hint: Multiply.)

They tell you that, before accounting for "the rest", they won 2/3 of the games they played.

If they won 2/3 of all of the games, then what fraction of the games is "the rest"? (Hint: Subtract.)

You have a number value for "the rest". If this number is this fraction of all the games, then how many is 2/3 of the games? (Hint: Multiply.)

Given the number values for the wins and "the rest", how many games did they play? (Hint: Add.)

If you get stuck, please reply showing your work and results for the above step-by-step instructions. Thank you! ;)

The Tigers had a season of wins, losses andties last season. They won ⅔ of the games they played. If they lost ¾ of theremaining games, and tied the rest, how many games did they play in total ifthey tied 3 games last season?

Thanks
Let "x" be the number of games they played. "They won ⅔ of the games they played." So they won 2x/3 games and had x- 2x/3= x/3 games remaining. "They lost ¾ of theremaining games, and tied the rest" so they lost (3/4)(x/3)= x/4 games and tied x/3- x/4= 4x/12- 3x/12= x/12 games. They tied 3 games so we have x/12= 3.