Multiplication Formula Required

Cazno2

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to figure out the formula required to use in an Excel spread sheet.

I have two numbers, one wth decimal places and one without. I need to multiply both numbers by the same value to reach the nearest whole number in both columns. Hope I am making sense :)

example (from my computer program)

=
=

Thank you

Hi Everyone,

I have two numbers, one wth decimal places and one without. I need to multiply both numbers by the same value to reach the nearest whole number in both columns. Hope I am making sense :)

6.251=254
12.540=50127

Thank you
Excel will do that automatically - if you format the "number" with 0 decimal points.

Thanks but this does not fix my issue, i need the calculation of the multiplier of both numbers to the nearest rounded number of both. The format of number to no decimals does not give me a calculation.

Hi Everyone,

6.251=254
12.540=50127

Thank you

I'm not quite sure what you are asking. Are you basically trying to simplify ratios, so no decimals are used and with no common factors.
That is 6.25 : 1 = a : b where a and b are integers with no common factors?

If what I said is what you want:

You'll first need to multiply both numbers by 10, 100, or 1000 etc to get rid of decimals.

Then you need to divide by the highest common factor (GCD - greatest common divider on Excel)

eg 6.25*100/GCD(6.25*100,1*100) and 1*100/GCD(6.25*100,1*100) will return 25 and 4.

The largest number of decimal digits in the original numbers will determine what power of 10 you need to multiply by (although it won't hurt to use a higher power than you need.)