ASVAB: If Kevin saves $4.75 per week, how many weeks will it take him to reach $266?

Joe365

Had this question on the practice ASVAB:

If Kevin saves $4.75 per week, how many weeks will it take him to reach $266?

A. 51
B. 56
C. 34
D. 27

Well, let's think the problem through for a moment and see what we find. The problems tells us how much Kevin saves per week. So, if Kevin saves for 2 weeks, how much money would he make? What if he saves for 5 weeks? What if he saves for 10 weeks? What mathematical operation did you use to find these answers? That gives us a method to determine how much Kevin will save after any number of weeks, but the problem wants us to go the other way around and say how many weeks it would take him to save a specific amount. We can think of that as "doing the opposite" of what we did before. So, what mathematical operation does that suggest you ought to use?

We can think of that as "doing the opposite" of what we did before. So, what mathematical operation does that suggest you ought to use?[/QUOTE]

I would say most likely subtraction.

Last edited:
I would say most likely subtraction.

Okay, so if you think subtraction is the operation to use, how would you go about solving the problem? I'm guessing the expression you designed looks something like this: (Something) - (Something else). Does that help you solve the stated problem? If so, what would be your next step? Or, to look at it another way, since you are using subtraction here, that implies you used addition to solve the earlier "practice problems." So, what addition did you use to calculate how much money Kevin would save after 10 weeks?

Had this question on the practice ASVAB:

If Kevin saves $4.75 per week, how many weeks will it take him to reach $266?

A. 51
B. 56
C. 34
D. 27
As Denis hinted, if the givem numbers bother you, then pick friendlier number so you can 'see' the process and then do the same process for the numbers given.

Suppose you save $10 per week and you want to save $100. How long will it take you? How did you figure out your answer? If you do not know this answer then pick two different numbers that you do know the answer to.