Angle curve and line

Loki123

I have no idea how to find intercept points because of ln and I also have no idea how to get the angle...
IMG_20220421_225200.jpg

I have no idea how to find intercept points because of ln and I also have no idea how to get the angle...
View attachment 32293
[imath]\ln x=-x+1 \implies \ln x +x=1[/imath].
Notice that [imath]\ln x+ x[/imath] is a strictly increasing function for [imath]x>0[/imath], and since [imath]x=1[/imath] is in the domain [imath]\therefore x=1[/imath] is the only solution.

If you sketch the graphs, you will see that (0, 1)(1,0) is the intersection point. You have actually found that. Not sure how you got (1, 0) (0,1) though.

For the angle, you will need to consider the gradients at the intersection point.

Last edited by a moderator:
[imath]\ln x=-x+1 \implies \ln x +x=1[/imath].
Notice that [imath]\ln x+ x[/imath] is a strictly increasing function for [imath]x>0[/imath], and since [imath]x=1[/imath] is in the domain [imath]\therefore x=1[/imath] is the only solution.
how do I notice that?

And you should know that ln(x) and x are increasing function as well as knowing that the sum of increasing functions is an increasing function.

ln(0) is not 1
Yes my mistake, sorry. I meant to say:

If you sketch the graphs, you will see that (1, 0) is the intersection point. You have actually found that. Not sure how you got (0, 1) though.

Had my points around the wrong way.

If you sketch the graphs, you will see that (0, 1) is the intersection point. You have actually found that. Not sure how you got (1, 0) though.

For the angle, you will need to consider the gradients at the intersection point.
Fixed this up in post #8.

Yes my mistake, sorry. I meant to say:

If you sketch the graphs, you will see that (1, 0) is the intersection point. You have actually found that. Not sure how you got (0, 1) though.

Had my points around the wrong way.
Corner time! We need to bring this back again.

You failed to define k, k1 and k2!

You need to move away from formulas and think instead. You have two lines, one with a slope of 1 and another with a slope of -1. Draw two intersecting lines with these two slopes and the angle between them will be obvious.

You failed to define k, k1 and k2!

You need to move away from formulas and think instead. You have two lines, one with a slope of 1 and another with a slope of -1. Draw two intersecting lines with these two slopes and the angle between them will be obvious.
Oh, that's 90 degrees. I made a mistake in the formula. I get 2/0. IMG_20220422_162157.jpg

Using a formula is much more prone to errors than just thinking.
A line of slope 1 intersects a line of slope -1 at a 90 degree angle. I do not need a formula to see that and neither do you!