Arg vs arg: Let z = (1 - 7i)/(3 + 4i). Express z in the form a + bi. Find Arg z^2.

0.5KV^2

Hi All,

Sorry if this is on the wrong thread, I am not sure where complex numbers go and I am not an American student!

I am stuck on part ii of this question. I got -1 - i as my answer for part i. I am confused whether the Arg (z) should be -3pi/2 or pi/2. I understand that if you squared the z value you get 2i, which then gives the Arg value as pi/2. But if I took the 2 out and made it 2Arg(z) then I would get -3pi/2. I understand that capital 'A' in arg indicates the principle argument, but both these values lie between the boundaries for this?

1697247457104.png

pi/2 and -3*pi/2 are equivalent since the difference between them is 2*pi. What is the definition of "principle argument" ?

Hi All,

Sorry if this is on the wrong thread, I am not sure where complex numbers go and I am not an American student!

I am stuck on part ii of this question. I got -1 - i as my answer for part i. I am confused whether the Arg (z) should be -3pi/2 or pi/2. I understand that if you squared the z value you get 2i, which then gives the Arg value as pi/2. But if I took the 2 out and made it 2Arg(z) then I would get -3pi/2. I understand that capital 'A' in arg indicates the principle argument, but both these values lie between the boundaries for this?

View attachment 36544
If [imath]~z~[/imath] is a complex number then [imath]\large\left( {\dfrac{1}{z} = \dfrac{{\overline{~ z~} }}{{|z{|^2}}}} \right)[/imath]. Using that we get [imath]\dfrac{{1 - 7i}}{{3 + 4i}}\left( {\dfrac{{3 - 4i}}{{3 - 4i}}} \right) = \dfrac{{3 - 21i - 4i - 28}}{{25}} = - 1 - i[/imath]
[imath]\large{ \arg ( - 1 - i)=-\pi+\frac{\pi}{4}}[/imath]

Now for your question: Suppose that [imath]z=a+b{\bf{i}}~\&~a\cdot b\ne 0[/imath]. You must be able to tell the quadrant [imath]z[/imath]is in.
Next find [imath]\tau = \arctan \left( {\left| {\dfrac{b}{a}} \right|} \right)[/imath], and then [imath] \arg (z) = \theta = \left\{ \begin{gathered} \tau ,\quad (x,y) \in I \\ \pi - \tau ,\quad (x,y) \in II \\ - \pi + \tau ,\quad (x,y) \in III \\ - \tau ,\quad (x,y) \in IV \\ \end{gathered} \right.[/imath]

So what is the argument of [imath]\left( {\dfrac{{1 - 7i}}{{3+ 4i}}} \right)^2[/imath]