Calculate a portion of volume of a load bin.

sunray

Hi, I hope this is the right place to ask my question.
So i have started a new job which requires that i calculate the volume of load bins of courier vans really fast. This is going to be hard for me to explain but here goes.
A customer arrives with a van that has a load bin for example that has a measurement of 2.1m long and 1.63m wide and 0.5m high. Which is the simple part. It is length x width x height which equates to about 1.71m3. But i only need to load 1m3 of aggregate in the bin starting from the back of the van. This very hard to explain. I need to be able to calculate where 1m3 will end on the bin in length, so i can use a tape measure and measure the distance on the bin and then load it with the aggregate. It gets more interesting when the customer only wants a portion of a cube.h100 cube capacity newqq.pngI found this image on the internet which is exactly what i need and how i need to be able to do it. I tried some of my own formulas but they were all doomed to disaster as my figures ended up way out of the path. Our customers come to collect in a great variety of load bins, from small trailers that are way less than a cube to 15ton flat beds, and i need to need to know really fast where a cube ends or a half cube. Some miracle formula that i can apply like length x height x width divided by total length of bin ( which by the way was one of my disastrous attempts and did not work )

I hope i have explained for question clearly, and thanks for any help.

Our customers come to collect in a great variety of load bins, from small trailers that are way less than a cube to 15ton flat beds, and i need to need to know really fast where a cube ends or a half cube. Some miracle formula that i can apply like length x height x width divided by total length of bin ( which by the way was one of my disastrous attempts and did not work )
I'm afraid it looks (to me) like you will be hard pushed to get any kind of "miracle formula" given the number of variables you seem to wish to take into account but please show us some of your attempts to solve your problem(s) and then someone may be able to offer specific advice on how to amend or improve on your work. It would help to see all your attempts so that we can get a better idea of how you are tackling the variables. (A picture of your written calculations will suffice.)

After a brief read through of your post the most likely solution that occurs to me is a little computer program(ming) that would take "input" (specific to each customer/van/lorry) and details of their specific "needs" to then calculate the output you want.

That wouldn't (necessarily) involve programming skills (ie; writing a whole batch of code). Something like that could probably be set up in a spreadsheet or a database or even a PowerPoint presentation (like MSWord™ or MSExcel™ or MSPowerPoint™).

Please upload your workings to get further help.