Chicago has a temperature of −10 degrees Fahrenheit (°F). It is colder in Minneapolis than in Chicago. Select all the values that could represent the

eddy2017

Elite Member
HI,
Chicago has a temperature of −10 degrees Fahrenheit (°F). It is colder in Minneapolis than in Chicago. Select all the values that could represent the temperature of Minneapolis.
A 112°F
B 8°F
C -8°F
D −12°F
E E −20°F

ANSWERS
-12 and -20
is it correct?

I'll post my work tomorrow if I may. Away from computer now.

The freezing point of water in Fahrenheit degrees is 32.
The lower it gets from there the colder. So, according to this fact,
-12 is colder than -10 and and -20 is colder than -12 and so forth and so on.

The freezing point of water in Fahrenheit degrees is 32.
The lower it gets from there the colder. So, according to this fact,
-12 is colder than -10 and and -20 is colder than -12 and so forth and so on.
Eddy

These may be correct answers, but is it the BEST reasoning?

The freezing point of water on the Fahrenheit scale is UTTERLY irrelevant. All the temperatures are on the same scale.

Which numbers are less than -10 degrees Fahrenheit

Eddy

These may be correct answers, but is it the BEST reasoning?

The freezing point of water on the Fahrenheit scale is UTTERLY irrelevant. All the temperatures are on the same scale.

Which numbers are less than -10 degrees Fahrenheit

Last edited:
-12 and - 20 the bigger the number the lower the temperature.

Last edited:
At the beginning I was confused. Then I realized that once you get minus 0 the bigger the number
( under freezing point) the lower the temp.

-12 and - 20 the bigger the number the lower the temperature.

-12 and -20 are smaller numbers compared to -10. You mean the larger the number
not counting the negative sign. Or, the further to the left of zero on the number line,
the smaller (correspondingly colder temperature) it is.

Exactly. Lev asked me to explain my answer whic I did taking the Fahrenheit scale as a reference. Yours is definitely better because it is based on mathematical facts.
Thank you.

Eddy

The fact that water freezes at 32 degrees Fahrenheit is of course true, but it is mathematically irrelevant.

The point here is that a greater number represents a higher temperature. When we are dealing with positive numbers, the one with the greater magnitude (the higher absolute value) is the greater number. When we are dealing with negative numbers, the one with the lesser magnitude (the lowerer absolute value) is the greater number. That is the mathematical fact to take away from this exercise.

Eddy

The fact that water freezes at 32 degrees Fahrenheit is of course true, but it is mathematically irrelevant.

The point here is that a greater number represents a higher temperature. When we are dealing with positive numbers, the one with the greater magnitude (the higher absolute value) is the greater number. When we are dealing with negative numbers, the one with the lesser magnitude (the lowerer absolute value) is the greater number. That is the mathematical fact to take away from this exercise.
thanks, Jeff, yes, that should be the point.