Complex Equation Hopefully an Answer Exists

Dan21

Hi

Firstly apologies if there is actually no possible solution to this, I feel there may be with the use of some complex algebra coupled with maybe a mixture of weighted averages but have been unable to work this out.
I have the following details in green which are volume per category, total combined earnings for all categories and total earnings margin out of volume which is 0.68%. I need to work out the inverse formula to find the values in red either earnings or % (the other will come once one of them has been solved). How would I go about doing this if all the red values were unknown? I have come to these amounts for the red values through trial and error, is there a way of working backwards using only the green values to get the red?
1618912827170.png

Thanks

Hi

Firstly apologies if there is actually no possible solution to this, I feel there may be with the use of some complex algebra coupled with maybe a mixture of weighted averages but have been unable to work this out.
I have the following details in green which are volume per category, total combined earnings for all categories and total earnings margin out of volume which is 0.68%. I need to work out the inverse formula to find the values in red either earnings or % (the other will come once one of them has been solved). How would I go about doing this if all the red values were unknown? I have come to these amounts for the red values through trial and error, is there a way of working backwards using only the green values to get the red?
View attachment 26633

Thanks
You need to be more explicit about the sources of these numbers. For example, how and why those % values were chosen?

Please show us what you have tried and exactly where you are stuck.

Please follow the rules of posting in this forum, as enunciated at:

Please share your work/thoughts about this problem

hi, seems to me there is no way you can find the red numbers fixed. They can change as long as they add up to 382,502.68. geometrically they are a hyperplane in dimension 4 with property that x+y+z+t=382,502.68.

If I am understanding this problem correctly, there is nothing to work out. There appears to be only one main restriction - the earnings for each category can be any value as long as the four add up to 382,502.68
There are 9327220952331709405455 different answers (9 billion trillion), assuming all non-negative and lowest denomination is 1 cent. Presumably only one of these 9327220952331709405455 options is correct and you have nothing to tell you which. There's not much to go on, I'm afraid.

Last edited: