Complex numbers

HATLEY1997

Got on okay with part a. I understand I need to use the formula a1(1-r^2)/1-r for part b. However I am struggling with proving this as well as c. Any help or links for guidance?

I have went through every book and YouTube tutorial I can find and I am still struggling, can you give me a starting point?

Am I splitting the 1/4 and sqrt(3)i/4 into two seperate sigma notations as the first step?

For b) you need the formula for the finite geometric series which is
[math] \sum_{k=0}^{n-1} q^k = \sum_{k=1}^n q^{k-1}=\dfrac{1-q^{n}}{1-q}[/math]which comes from [imath] (1-q)\cdot(1+q+q^2+\ldots+q^{n-1})=1-q^n. [/imath]

Do you know how to convert the result into the notation with the e-function? (If not, then let's first see what you got and solve this issue afterward.

For c) you need the formula for the infinite geometric series which is
[math] \sum_{k=0}^\infty q^k=\dfrac{1}{1-q} [/math]and in your case
[math] \sum_{k=1}^\infty q^k=\dfrac{1}{1-q} - 1=\dfrac{q}{1-q} [/math]
[imath] q=\dfrac{1}{4}+\dfrac{\sqrt{3}}{4} i [/imath] in both cases. Remember that you divide a complex number by
[math] \dfrac{1}{a+ i b}=\dfrac{a- i b}{(a- ib)(a+ib)}=\dfrac{a-ib}{a^2+b^2}. [/math]

You forgot to tell us what you want to solve!
Am I correct in saying (for b) that r=1/2e^(ipi/3) and a=1 (as substituting 1 for k into (1/4+isqrt(3)/4)^n gives me 1). Putting this into that first formula would give prove the answer required. Does r equal the answer to part a as this is what I seem to have but not sure if that is right or not

Let's see. I haven't calculated anything, yet.
[math]\begin{array}{lll} |q|&=\left|\dfrac{1}{4}+\dfrac{\sqrt{3}}{4} i \right|= \sqrt{\dfrac{1}{16}+\dfrac{3}{16}}=\dfrac{1}{2}\\ \cos(\varphi) &= \dfrac{1}{4} / (1/2)= 1/2 \Longrightarrow \varphi = 60° = \dfrac{\pi}{3}\\ \sin(\varphi )&= \dfrac{\sqrt{3}}{4} / (1/2) =\dfrac{\sqrt{3}}{2} \Longrightarrow \varphi = 60° = \dfrac{\pi}{3} \\ q= 2^{-1} e^{i \frac{\pi}{3}} \end{array}[/math]
So the representation part is ok. I have trouble understanding the part with the sum. [imath] q^0=1 [/imath] and [imath] q^1=q .[/imath] I have written the formulas the way you need them, starting with [imath] k=1. [/imath]

[math] q^n= \left(2^{-1} e^{i \frac{\pi}{3}}\right)^n=2^{-n}e^{i \frac{n \pi}{3}} [/math]

[math]\begin{array}{lll} |q|&=\left|\dfrac{1}{4}+\dfrac{\sqrt{3}}{4} i \right|= \sqrt{\dfrac{1}{16}+\dfrac{3}{16}}=\dfrac{1}{2}\\ \cos(\varphi) &= \dfrac{1}{4} / (1/2)= 1/2 \Longrightarrow \varphi = 60° = \dfrac{\pi}{3}\\ \sin(\varphi )&= \dfrac{\sqrt{3}}{4} / (1/2) =\dfrac{\sqrt{3}}{2} \Longrightarrow \varphi = 60° = \dfrac{\pi}{3} \\ q= 2^{-1} e^{i \frac{\pi}{3}} \end{array}[/math]
So the representation part is ok. I have trouble understanding the part with the sum. [imath] q^0=1 [/imath] and [imath] q^1=q .[/imath] I have written the formulas the way you need them, starting with [imath] k=1. [/imath]

[math] q^n= \left(2^{-1} e^{i \frac{\pi}{3}}\right)^n=2^{-n}e^{i \frac{n \pi}{3}} [/math]

Perfect will have a look at this - thank you for your help!

Where am I missing the 1 at the start?
My mistake, I am sorry. They actually started with [imath] k=0 [/imath] because the exponent in the sum was [imath] k-1 [/imath].

I gave you the wrong formula where I subtracted [imath] q^0=1 [/imath] erroneously thinking the sum was over [imath] q^k. [/imath] Sorry, my bad. (I blame that I watched Snooker while writing that ...)

[math]\begin{array}{lll} \sum_{k=1}^\infty q^{k-1}=\sum_{k=0}^\infty q^{k}=\dfrac{1}{1-q}=1+\sum_{k=1}^\infty q^k =1 +\dfrac{q}{1-q}=\dfrac{1}{1-q} \end{array}[/math]

Last edited: