Conics World Problem final question

realVikash

Hello, would I use the discriminant to find the ranges of values? We haven't really gone over questions like this and I don't know how to solve it.
20210404_104136.jpg

"We haven't really gone over questions like this and I don't know how to solve it. " So? Let's see your efforts. It is a common error to believe that the study of mathematics is simply memorizing the manipulation of tiny symbols.

What do you know about intersections?
Have you ever solved a system of equations to find a single solution?

Pleas show us YOUR work and make at least SOME effort to solve the problem. You don't get to throw your hands in the air and simply give up. Explore. Guess. Think about it. Apply what you DO know, rather than getting hung up with what you think you don't know.

Thanks for the encouragement, when I convert my grades to the American system I'm a solid B or B+, here in NZ we're always taught (and even the smart ones are the same) when we don't know something in math to just ask, and the teacher should explain, maybe that's why this country is so bad at math, thanks anyway.

Hello, would I use the discriminant to find the ranges of values? We haven't really gone over questions like this and I don't know how to solve it.
View attachment 26166
Yes, the discriminant will likely be part of your work; but I it isn't about a range of values, so you may be thinking in a slightly wrong direction. Just solve the system of equations, and then think about what to do next -- it's generally not good to think more about the tools you'll be using than the job you are doing.

What I'm curious about is, where is Conics World? Sounds like a great math theme park!