Correct use of the sigma sign

Jace

How should I show the sigma sign in the following:
A = (B x C) + (D x E)
where (D x E) occurs a number of times and must be summed?

Jace said:
How should I show the sigma sign in the following:
A = (B x C) + (D x E)
where (D x E) occurs a number of times and must be summed?

Please show us - how it is written (fully) without "sigma notation".

Sigma notation is a short-hand - to be able to use it, we must first understand the long-hand expression.

Perhaps some background would help. The intention is to create a financial result, where A represents rent paid for use of an asset.

The first part of the formula (B x C) represents the rent that is payable in advance for the use of those assets, where B is the number of assets that are available on the rent payment date and C is the rent that is payable per asset.

The second part of the formula (D x E) is intended to represent the rent that is payable in arrears for any extra assets that have been made available between the previous rent payment date and the latest rent payment date. D represents one extra asset made available and E represents the rent payable for that extra asset, based on the number of days that it has been made available for up to the latest rent payment date.

So, if, say, three new assets have been made available between those two payment dates, (D x E) needs to happen three times and on each occasion. If five new assets are made available, then (D x E) needs to happen five times. And so on. The result of (D x E) in each case will vary, depending on how many days each extra asset has been made available for. Each calculation of (D x E) needs to be summed.

Hope that provides sufficient information.

Subhotosh asked you to write out one complete example; it appears that you do not understand this request.

Based on your extra information, I see no need for sigma notation. If the expression D*E occurs three times, then multiply it by three. If it occurs five times, then multiply it by five.

A = B*C + 3*D*E

A = B*C + 5*D*E

If this is not what you want, then spell out one complete example for us.

Cheers,

~ Mark :)