Double-Duty Answer?

Steven G

Elite Member
I have this question out of curiosity.

Let's say that I did find a way to put parentheses to get 12.

Then is 9+12/3+4/2+2 = 12 done at that point since (1)(2) =2? That is can you use parentheses on the RHS as well?

I have this question out of curiosity.

Let's say that I did find a way to put parenthesis to get 2.

Then is 9+12/3+4/2+2 = 12 done at that point since (1)(2) =2? That is can you use parenthesis on the res as well?

If we're allowed to break apart the digits of the number 12 (as shown by Steven) on the LHS then more values can be obtained. One of these values is indeed 2. Seems a bit like cheating though :)

It's a good call to remove this very strong hint from the original thread (I don't mind if you delete my post#2 actually)

However, should we leave the OP with some kind of hope that number 2 is obtainable, otherwise they might just give up (thinking that it's impossible). I'll leave it to someone who might know how to do "subtle" :ROFLMAO: I can't think of a hint that would lead someone to splitting the 12.

It's a good call to remove this very strong hint from the original thread (I don't mind if you delete my post#2 actually)
Hi Cubist. Please excuse; I'm not sure what is "this very strong hint". (Steven's brilliance?) Also, are you referencing post#2 in this thread?

should we leave the OP with some kind of hope that number 2 is obtainable
I would say 'no' – in the context of a student reviewing Order of Operations, using exercises from a Beginning Algebra class.

If you'd like to amend your post#3 in the original thread, by noting that 2 is obtainable (for example, via interpretations of expressions like 12+2 that are different from Order of Operations used in class) or to inquire whether the question is schoolwork versus something from cousin Vinny, then I can do that. Just send me the new text. ;)
[imath]\;[/imath]

Hi Cubist. Please excuse; I'm not sure what is "this very strong hint". (Steven's brilliance?) Also, are you referencing post#2 in this thread?
Hi. I'm pretty sure that posts 1 & 2 used to be part of the original thread (click), and therefore I thought they must have been moved away by a moderator who might have thought that the posts gave away too much? However I'm really not sure if this is actually true. My memory really isn't as good as it used to be :unsure::)

I would say 'no' – in the context of a student reviewing Order of Operations, using exercises from a Beginning Algebra class.

If you'd like to amend your post#3 in the original thread, by noting that 2 is obtainable (for example, via interpretations of expressions like 12+2 that are different from Order of Operations used in class) or to inquire whether the question is schoolwork versus something from cousin Vinny, then I can do that. Just send me the new text. ;)
[imath]\;[/imath]
I think I'm going to watch the thread from a distance now. I very much enjoyed writing some code to find possible values. This type of problem seems like a great way to teach the use of brackets. If the OP doesn't respond I might reveal how to obtain "2" after a week or so, unless someone else does this first.

moved away by a moderator who might have thought that the posts gave away too much?
When a moderator shifts posts from a thread to the Odds&Ends board, it's generally because the posts are a growing off-topic discussion. (I don't see a need to delete the post you'd mentioned.)

I enjoyed finding four solutions, and thinking about that 2. The exercise is a great way to practice Order of Operations, without the creative 12+2=(1)(2)(+2).
[imath]\;[/imath]