Equation of line thru (3,2) w/undefined slope in y=mx+b form

taragbeh

Hi All can you please assist. I am not sure what this is asking.

Find the equation of the line in the form of y=mx+b if possible:

The line through (3,2) with undefine slope.

Re: Equation

You should know two special cases of lines.

1: Zero Slope - They look like this: y = b -- Notice how the 'm' and 'x' are missing
2: Undefined or "No" Slope - They look like this: x = c -- Notice how 'y', 'm' and 'b' are missing.

Now you should be able to answer the question.

tkhunny said:
You should know two special cases of lines.

1: Zero Slope - They look like this: y = b -- Notice how the 'm' and 'x' are missing
2: Undefined or "No" Slope - They look like this: x = c -- Notice how 'y', 'm' and 'b' are missing.

Now you should be able to answer the question.

Not sure if I understand. Can you explain some more. I have not done this one

tkhunny said:
taragbeh said:
Not sure if I understand. Can you explain some more. I have not done this one
If your class has not yet covered slopes and graphed lines, and your book does not mention the topic, then you will need to replace those missing hours of instruction elsewhere. Unfortunately, we really can't teach classes here, so please spend a few hours studying online resources, or other texts.

. . . . .Google results for "slope line graph"

Once you have studied at least two lessons from the link and have learned the basic terms and techniques, please attempt the exercise. If you get stuck, you will then be able to intelligently review the reply already provided (which essentially contains the answer) and post your thoughts and work.

Thank you! :D

Eliz.

There really isn't much more to explain. You are suppose to use the given informatin to solve the problem

You have (3,2)

Hint: Zero Slope through this point is y = 2

No Slope or Undefined Slope through this point is ????

Think about what the 3 and the 2 mean in those parentheses.

tkhunny said:
There really isn't much more to explain. You are suppose to use the given informatin to solve the problem

You have (3,2)

Hint: Zero Slope through this point is y = 2

No Slope or Undefined Slope through this point is ????

Think about what the 3 and the 2 mean in those parentheses.

This is how i figure it out. Please let me know if I am correct.

y=mx+b
2=m(3)+2
2=3m+2
3m=2-2
m=0 (undefine)

Nice try, but this is a very common error. You have just managed ZERO (0) Slope. That is not what you want.

With this in mind, please go reread the previous responses, and maybe spend some time with the Search stapel provided. (I expect the link to PurpleMath ro be particularly helpful).

Give it another go.

tkhunny said:
Nice try, but this is a very common error. You have just managed ZERO (0) Slope. That is not what you want.

With this in mind, please go reread the previous responses, and maybe spend some time with the Search stapel provided. (I expect the link to PurpleMath ro be particularly helpful).

Give it another go.

X=3

If you had added a question mark, I would have had another short speech for you. Now, I'm looking for the fanfare button...

Good work. That's it! It's vertical and it runs through (3,2). It also runs through (3,1) and (3,28) and (3,9000000). Just x = 3.