Equation Reversal

BrandonxDx

So this already works

Input:
DAY = 5.3, NIGHT = 3.1
Output:
(12/DAY) + 4/(DAY*NIGHT) = 150.456482 minutes
8/(DAY*NIGHT) = 29.21485088 = 29.21485088 minutes

How do I reverse this to input MINUTES and return DAY and NIGHT instead? My brain is not functioning.

Input:
DAY MINUTES = 150, NIGHT MINUTES = 30
Output:
??? = DAY(5.3)
??? = NIGHT(3.1)

So this already works

Input:
DAY = 5.3, NIGHT = 3.1
Output:
(12/DAY) + 4/(DAY*NIGHT) = 150.456482 minutes
8/(DAY*NIGHT) = 29.21485088 = 29.21485088 minutes

How do I reverse this to input MINUTES and return DAY and NIGHT instead? My brain is not functioning.

Input:
DAY MINUTES = 150, NIGHT MINUTES = 30
Output:
??? = DAY(5.3)
??? = NIGHT(3.1)
Checking your calculations, I get (12/DAY) + 4/(DAY*NIGHT) =2.508; I have to multiply by 60 to get 150.46. Similarly, I have to multiply by 60 to get your 29.21. So you'll need to either add that conversion into the equations, or call the results "day hours" and "night hours". This may be why you had trouble inverting.

I was suspicious of your units in the first place, as you haven't defined what "day" and "night" mean, unitwise, and also didn't state directly what your two outputs mean. We can help better if you explain what the whole thing means.

But given the equations you have, if we write them as

[MATH]\frac{12}{d} + \frac{4}{dn} = x[/MATH]​
[MATH]\frac{8}{dn} = y[/MATH]​

To solve this system of equations for d and n, you can multiply each equation by dn, then solve one for n and plug that into the other.

Checking your calculations, I get (12/DAY) + 4/(DAY*NIGHT) =2.508; I have to multiply by 60 to get 150.46. Similarly, I have to multiply by 60 to get your 29.21. So you'll need to either add that conversion into the equations, or call the results "day hours" and "night hours". This may be why you had trouble inverting.

I was suspicious of your units in the first place, as you haven't defined what "day" and "night" mean, unitwise, and also didn't state directly what your two outputs mean. We can help better if you explain what the whole thing means.

But given the equations you have, if we write them as

[MATH]\frac{12}{d} + \frac{4}{dn} = x[/MATH]​
[MATH]\frac{8}{dn} = y[/MATH]​

To solve this system of equations for d and n, you can multiply each equation by dn, then solve one for n and plug that into the other.
multiply by 60 was a missed variable when transferring here, it comes out as hours first, then you multiply to get minutes.

so basically Day is the day multiplier, and night is the night time multiplier. 8 is the amount of hours the night is actually dark, but the other 4 hours is also sped up by the night multiplier. So basically day length = (24hrs/DAY)/2. But in addition to that night length comes in to play for 12 hours which =(24/(day*night))/2

Last edited:
multiply by 60 was a missed variable when transferring here, it comes out as hours first, then you multiply to get minutes.

so basically Day is the day multiplier, and night is the night time multiplier. 8 is the amount of hours the night is actually dark, but the other 4 hours is also sped up by the night multiplier. So basically day length = (24hrs/DAY)/2. But in addition to that night length comes in to play for 12 hours which =(24/(day*night))/2
And what are the times that you are calculating from all this? (I assume you know that the number of hours of darkness actually varies through the year, unless you are on the equator.)

In any case, have you tried doing what I suggested to solve for D and N? My goal is to get your brain functioning, not just mine ...