Evaluate sec(-1.42). Answer in radians to 3 decimal places (Calculator use allowed).

leelagriffiths

This is a question on my school summer studies paper in preparation for precalculus this year. My answer is 6.657 but the answer the teacher has given in the answer section is 2.352 and 3.931 with no explanation. I don't understand where I am going wrong. Using negative angle identities I know sec(-1.42) is same as sec(1.42). Then I enter into calculator, having first put in radians mode... 1/(cos 1.42) which gives me 6.657. What am I doing wrong ? or is the teachers answers wrong? I'm unable to liaise with the teacher over the summer vacation.

This is a question on my school summer studies paper in preparation for precalculus this year. My answer is 6.657 but the answer the teacher has given in the answer section is 2.352 and 3.931 with no explanation. I don't understand where I am going wrong. Using negative angle identities I know sec(-1.42) is same as sec(1.42). Then I enter into calculator, having first put in radians mode... 1/(cos 1.42) which gives me 6.657. What am I doing wrong ? or is the teachers answers wrong? I'm unable to liaise with the teacher over the summer vacation.
Can you show an image of the original problem? I think you (or someone else) copied it incorrectly.

Since the answer to sec(-1.42) can't be in radians (it's just a ratio), I immediately suspected that it's really asking for the inverse secant, not the secant. And in fact, when I find the inverse secant of -1.42 radians, it's 2.352... .

But then, if the answer is not one value but two, then it must not be asking for the value of a function, but the solution to an equation, which would be sec(x) = -1.42. The two solutions to that, in the interval [imath][0,2\pi)[/imath], are 2.352 and [imath]2\pi-\sec^{-1}(-1.42)\approx 3.931[/imath].

So, did you not show us what it actually said, or did the teacher write it wrong?

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply, I really appreciate your help … I attach a photo of the actual question . It looks like the teacher has written the question wrong for the answer they have supplied . As the answers that have been given (as you mention above ) are the solutions to the equation sec(x)= -1.42 not answers to evaluate sec(-1.42) .

Attachments

• F6C4AD52-4F34-494E-8619-7A3576F967FC.jpeg
    F6C4AD52-4F34-494E-8619-7A3576F967FC.jpeg
    774 KB · Views: 7
You could tell that something is wrong since when you compute the secant of angle, whether it is in degrees or radians, you get a real number--not radians