Find Length of Pass

nycmathdad

A soccer player passes the ball from a point
that is 18 yards from the endline and 12 yards from the sideline. A teammate who is 42 yards from the same endline and 50 yards from the same sideline receives the pass. How long is the pass?

Let me see.

(x, y) = (endline, sideline)

I must find the distance from (18, 12) to (42, 50).

Does it matter if I change the coordinates around?

In other words, can I also use the points (12, 18) and (50, 42)?

A soccer player passes the ball from a point
that is 18 yards from the endline and 12 yards from the sideline. A teammate who is 42 yards from the same endline and 50 yards from the same sideline receives the pass. How long is the pass?

Let me see.

(x, y) = (endline, sideline)

I must find the distance from (18, 12) to (42, 50).

Does it matter if I change the coordinates around?

In other words, can I also use the points (12, 18) and (50, 42)?
As I often recommend to students asking "does it matter?" or "can I also do it this way?", try both ways and see for yourself. Show your results, and we can discuss why it works as it does. And you learn things a lot more thoroughly when you make your own experiential learning this way.

As I often recommend to students asking "does it matter?" or "can I also do it this way?", try both ways and see for yourself. Show your results, and we can discuss why it works as it does. And you learn things a lot more thoroughly when you make your own experiential learning this way.

Ok. I will not post any new threads until work is shown for all recently posted math problems.