Find the Basis

TheWrathOfMath

V=P4[x] (the subspace of all polynomials of degree 4 or less).
Find the basis of the polynomial subspace W, which includes all polynomials in V such as that when multiplied by (x-2), the product will be an odd degree polynomial.

I only managed to write:
---------------------------?
W={p(x}∈V | p(x)*(x-2) = Σ an*x^(2n+1)
--------------------------n=0
Looking at the p(x)*(x-2) part:

(a+bx+cx^2+dx^3+ex^4)*(x-2) =​
= ax+bx^2+cx^3+dx^4+ex^5-2a-2bx-2cx^2-2dx^3-2ex^4 =​
= -2a+(a-2b)x+(b-2c)x^2+(c-2d)x^3+(d-2e)x^4+ex^5​
.Now, I know that the above expression must be a polynomial with an odd degree.​
The condition is met in the following cases:
e=/=0​
e=0 and c-2d=/=0​
e=0 and c-2d=0 and a-2b=/=0​

Two questions:
1) Is it preferable to write the sigma notation in words instead, since there is no numerical upper limit for the "largest odd number"?
2) How do I proceed to find the basis? Perhaps I have done something wrong or went about this in a complicated manner for no good reason?

Why do you require [imath]e \neq 0[/imath], [imath]c-2d \neq 0[/imath], etc. ?

I am guessing that by "odd degree polynomial" you mean polynomials with odd degree components only, i.e., all even degree coefficients must be 0. Is my guess correct?

Why do you require [imath]e \neq 0[/imath], [imath]c-2d \neq 0[/imath], etc. ?

I am guessing that by "odd degree polynomial" you mean polynomials with odd degree components only, i.e., all even degree coefficients must be 0. Is my guess correct?
Oh, oops. You are right. Only odd degree components.

But I still don't understand why you require all even degree coefficients to be non-zero.
I misread the original question.
In this case, I require all even degree coefficients of the resulting polynomial to be equal to zero.
First I need to check how this limitation would impact p(x) in W.

But I still don't understand why you require all even degree coefficients to be non-zero.
Okay, I think that the basis for W is {2x+x^2, 2x^3+x^4}.
I started out by writing:

(a+bx+cx^2+dx^3+ex^4)(x-2) = (alpha)+(beta)x+(gamma)x^2+(delta)x^3+(epsilon)x^4+(zeta)x^5

I distributed the left side, grouped like-terms and took a common factor x...x^5 out.
I then compared the coefficients on both sides:

-2a=alpha
a-2b=beta
b-2c=gamma
c-2d=delta
d-2e=epsilon
e=zeta

We know that alpha, gamma, epsilon= 0, therefore:

-2a=alpha=0
b-2c=gamma=0
d-2e=epsilon=0

Therefore:

a=0
b=2c
d=2e

Therefore every vector in W is of the form:
p(x)= 2cx+cx^2+2ex^3+ex^4

c(2x+x^2)+e(2x^3+x^4)

Therefore the basis for W is:
{2x+x^2, 2x^3+x^4}

Okay, I think that the basis for W is {2x+x^2, 2x^3+x^4}.
I started out by writing:

(a+bx+cx^2+dx^3+ex^4)(x-2) = (alpha)+(beta)x+(gamma)x^2+(delta)x^3+(epsilon)x^4+(zeta)x^5

I distributed the left side, grouped like-terms and took a common factor x...x^5 out.
I then compared the coefficients on both sides:

-2a=alpha
a-2b=beta
b-2c=gamma
c-2d=delta
d-2e=epsilon
e=zeta

We know that alpha, gamma, epsilon= 0, therefore:

-2a=alpha=0
b-2c=gamma=0
d-2e=epsilon=0

Therefore:

a=0
b=2c
d=2e

Therefore every vector in W is of the form:
p(x)= 2cx+cx^2+2ex^3+ex^4

c(2x+x^2)+e(2x^3+x^4)

Therefore the basis for W is:
{2x+x^2, 2x^3+x^4}
Agree!

Now I found that the basis for U={q(x)∈V | q(-1)=0} ⊆ V=P4[x] is {1-x^4, x+x^4, x^2-x^4, x^3+x^4} .
I found it by letting q(x) = f+gx+hx^2+jx^3+kx^4, used the constraint q(-1)=0 to find that k= -f+g-h+j, and substituted it in q(x), simplified, and obtained the basis.

I was asked to find the intersection of U and W.

I let v∈ U∩W, therefore:

v∈W, hence:
v= c(2x+x^2)+e(2x^3+x^4)

v∈U, hence:
a(1-x^4)+b(x+x^4)+c(x^2-x^4)+d(x^3+x^4)
*Notice that I changed the coefficients from f,g,h,j to a,b,c,d.

v=v, therefore v-v=0 :

a(1-x^4)+b(x+x^4)+c(x^2-x^4)+d(x^3+x^4)-c(2x+x^2)-e(2x^3+x^4) = (0,0).

Now I obtained the following equations:

a+bx+cx^2+dx^3-2cx-2ex^3=0
-ax^4+bx^4-cx^4+dx^4-cx^2-ex^4=0

I thought about attempting to solve the system of equations and expressing some variables using other (free) variables.

How do I do that using a matrix?
I am slightly confused about how will the matrix look like.
Ax=b
Will A be a matrix of the coefficients, x a 1x2 matrix of the variables, and b a 1x2 zero matrix?
If so, don't I need to rearrange my equations, since I have the coefficient c, for instance, appearing in two different terms in the first and second equations?

I am confused: where do U and V come from? Is this from a different problem? If so, can you post a complete problem description. Also, I believe the guidelines for the forum require separate threads for different problems.

I am confused: where do U and V come from? Is this from a different problem? If so, can you post a complete problem description. Also, I believe the guidelines for the forum require separate threads for different problems.
It is not a different problem. It is the second part of the same problem.
Nevertheless, I can start a new thread for the second part, if it's preferable.

I started a new thread.