finding a rule......input/output

buuberry

I am having a problem with figuring out how to make a equation from a chart(Input /output).....Here is example.The Book shows 4 different designs using paper clips. Each design is numbered 1-4. the design is suppose to be the input and the number of sides is supposed to be the output. # 1 has 3 sides #2 has 4sides #3 has 5 sides and #4 has 6.

the book also asks you to describe the input an output matching needed to find a rule.
write a sentence describing the rule for obtaining the output from the input.
write the rule in symbols.

the table it shows is numbered 1-5 on the input side and the output is numbered 3,4,5,6,7.

I don't understand how am I supposed to make or find one rule that applies to the entire chart :cry: ....please help....I just don't get it..
[/tex]

Hello, buuberry!

You are expected to find and express a pattern in the Input-Output table.

I am having a problem with figuring out how to make a equation from a chart(Input /output).

Here is example. The book shows 4 different designs using paper clips.
Each design is numbered 1-4.
The design is the input and the number of sides is the output.
#1 has 3 sides, #2 has 4 sides, #3 has 5 sides, and #4 has 6.

The book also asks you to describe the input an output matching needed to find a rule.
Write a sentence describing the rule for obtaining the output from the input.
Write the rule in symbols.

\(\displaystyle \begin{array}{ccccccc}\text{Input } & \text{ Output} \\ \hline \\ 1 & 3 \\ 2 & 4 \\ 3 & 5 \\ 4 & 6 \\ 5 & 7\end{array}\)

I don't understand how am I supposed to make
or find one rule that applies to the entire chart. . Really?

Can you see that the Output is always two more than the Input?

The rule seems to be: \(\displaystyle \,\fbox{\text{Output }\:=\:\text{ Input }+\,2}\)