for pts (4,7), (28,11), (-3,-1), find pt-slope eqn for perp.

lonnie1950

I am trying to assist my nephew with a math problem. The problems is as follows:

For the points A (4, 7), B(28, 11), and C(-3, -1), find the equation in point -slope form for the

a. Perpendicular bisector of AB. b. Median of (triangle symbol)ABC from point B

Please work out the problem in detail and explain how you arrived at the answer.

A possible answer that was in his work book was: y=9 - 6(x - 16)
I was able to figure were that came up with the 16 & 9 but not the 6.

Thanks for your assistance.
LaVerne

Re: algebra problem

lonnie1950 said:
I am trying to assist my nephew with a math problem. The problems is as follows:

For the points A (4, 7), B(28, 11), and C(-3, -1), find the equation in point -slope form for the

a. Perpendicular bisector of AB. b. Median of (triangle symbol)ABC from point B

Please work out the problem in detail and explain how you arrived at the answer.

A possible answer that was in his work book was: y=9 - 6(x - 16) - for which part (a or b)

I was able to figure were that came up with the 16 & 9 - Please show us how you did that, then we could help you most effectively - but not the 6.

Thanks for your assistance.
LaVerne

lonnie1950 said:

a. Perpendicular bisector of AB.
Use the Midpoint Formula to find the midpoint of the segment.

Use the slope formula to find the slope of the segment, and, from this, the slope of any perpendicular line through the segment.

Take this perpendicular slope and the midpoint, and plug them into any of the forms of the equation of a straight line (the "point-slope" form would probably be best), and simplify to get your line's equation.

lonnie1950 said:
b. Median of (triangle symbol)ABC from point B

Use the Midpoint Formula to find the midpoint of the opposite side.

Find the slope of the line through B and this midpoint.

Using either B or the midpoint, along with the slope you just found, plug into one of the forms of the straight line, and simplify to get your answer.

If you get stuck, please reply showing how far you have gotten in working through the steps. Thank you! :D