Functions Help: f(-4)=4, f(0)=-5, f(x)=0: Find 3 pts on graphs of f(x+1), f(x)+5

LiddellSuite

I hope this is the right category.

I need help understanding this problem. It's practically gibberish to me, and I cannot find anything in my textbooks, or through google that have helped me understand. If anyone knows what this is and how I solve it, please help....

329387167_1133756800576682_4055872818485218878_n.png

I need help understanding this problem. It's practically gibberish to me, and I cannot find anything in my textbooks, or through google that have helped me understand. If anyone knows what this is and how I solve it, please help....

View attachment 34978
Have you tried Googling "function transformations"?

View attachment 34978
I would guess that you have learned about transformations of functions.

What transformation of f(x) is represented by f(x+1)?

What happens when you apply that transformation to the three given points on the graph?

This may help you to 'visualise' what's going on.... ?

2023-02-04.png

I will do a similar problem for you.
Suppose that you know that f(5) = 19. That is, f(x) contains the point (5,19)
If I give you f(x+1): if x=4, then x+1=5 and we know what f(5) equals--it equals 19.
So (4,19) will be a point on f(x+1)

@LiddellSuite
I notice that in your post title you have f(x+5) whereas in the question it says f(x)+5.
These are NOT the same and indicate different transformations. It is important to read the mathematical notation correctly.

@LiddellSuite
I notice that in your post title you have f(x+5) whereas in the question it says f(x)+5.
These are NOT the same and indicate different transformations. It is important to read the mathematical notation correctly.
That's my fault: I typoed the function while adding context to the original "Functions Help" subject line. It's fixed now.

Eliz.