Geometric Sequences - Can Someone Please Look Over My Work?

knpoe03

Hello! This is a geometric sequence maze worksheet that I've completed. I struggled a bit with some minor errors, so I'm a bit paranoid that I may have missed something. I'd appreciate if someone could take a look over my work! (If you zoom in, my work is in the margins)

Attachments

• 2020-12-08 22-11 (1).pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 50
1608417349965.png

Take a look at the blue one. Do you notice that all odd terms are negative?

(I'm assuming that you are taking the index as starting from 1. Is that right?)

That's all I've checked. This looks like it's intended to take a long time and frustrate you! I'll share the time and the frustration with others.

View attachment 23876

Take a look at the blue one. Do you notice that all odd terms are negative?

(I'm assuming that you are taking the index as starting from 1. Is that right?)

That's all I've checked. This looks like it's intended to take a long time and frustrate you! I'll share the time and the frustration with others.

I'm so sorry, I'm not the brightest crayon in the box. Are you referring to the blue one in the second column? What's an index? Have I made a mistake?

Sorry for all of these questions. My school has gone virtual this year, and my math class is only a half hour a week. We don't get any instruction, but we are given busy work (like this worksheet) with a page of equations to use for our work.

I'm so sorry, I'm not the brightest crayon in the box. Are you referring to the blue one in the second column? What's an index? Have I made a mistake?
A term's index is its number/position in the sequence (it's written as a subscript). Odd index terms in the given sequence are negative. a11 is an odd term.

A term's index is its number/position in the sequence (it's written as a subscript). Odd index terms in the given sequence are negative. a11 is an odd term.
Ohh, so should I have done -1024 instead?

Is the 1st term written as a0 or a1. How the 1st term is written depends on the textbook you are using.

The work you have with the green one is not correct. Each term is NOT being multiplied by 3 to get the next term. Can you try again?

The work you have with the green one is not correct. Each term is NOT being multiplied by 3 to get the next term. Can you try again?
I see where I went wrong. Here is my updated work:

Attachments

• 2020-12-08 22-11 (1).pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 59
I do not like how you wrote your answer. It is lucky that you got the correct answer.

I have two questions for you. How much is -52 and how much is (-7)2? It is important that you know these answer so please post back. Then we can talk about your answer in your last post.

-25 and 49?

For the response you dislike, I struggled with figuring out which methods to use and how to apply them. However, I was able to deduce the answer from the two options that were given. I know my method is likely faulty, but it made sense to me in the moment.

-25 and 49?

For the response you dislike, I struggled with figuring out which methods to use and how to apply them. However, I was able to deduce the answer from the two options that were given. I know my method is likely faulty, but it made sense to me in the moment.
Your work is correct in what it means; it isn't methods that are wrong. All that Jomo is complaining about (I think) is that you didn't put parentheses where needed in order for your written work to mean what you mean. That is a problem in communicating, though it evidently is not a problem in your doing the work. But it's important to communicate correctly both to others who are trying to follow your work, and also to yourself, if, say, you come back to check it and forget what you meant. So it's important to pay attention to details.

But I would emphasize the correctness of your work before pointing out where you can improve.

Your work is correct in what it means; it isn't methods that are wrong. All that Jomo is complaining about (I think) is that you didn't put parentheses where needed in order for your written work to mean what you mean. That is a problem in communicating, though it evidently is not a problem in your doing the work. But it's important to communicate correctly both to others who are trying to follow your work, and also to yourself, if, say, you come back to check it and forget what you meant. So it's important to pay attention to details.

But I would emphasize the correctness of your work before pointing out where you can improve.
Okay, thank you for explaining this to me. Honestly, this was an error on my part that I probably would have overlooked, had it not been for everyone's help. Thank you!

So do you know the error that I was referring to? Helpers on this site are generally very good at what they do and when they ask you a question you really should respond back with an answer. If you do not know how to do the two questions which I asked you, then you will be making a silly error very frequently when dealing with exponents. I will give try to help you one more time by asking you to compute (-3)3 and -23. Please respond back with your answer.

So do you know the error that I was referring to? Helpers on this site are generally very good at what they do and when they ask you a question you really should respond back with an answer. If you do not know how to do the two questions which I asked you, then you will be making a silly error very frequently when dealing with exponents. I will give try to help you one more time by asking you to compute (-3)3 and -23. Please respond back with your answer.
I'm sorry, I thought that I was supposed to be answering the question that you asked me, "How much is -5^2 and how much is (-7)^2?" I thought that I had answered this question by providing you with the answers. In your previous response, you also made no mention of any errors. For reference, here was what you said:

"I do not like how you wrote your answer. It is lucky that you got the correct answer.

I have two questions for you. How much is -5^2 and how much is (-7)^2? It is important that you know these answer so please post back. Then we can talk about your answer in your last post."

Dr. Peterson did clarify the errors, however, by pointing out at my use (and sometimes lack of use) of parentheses.

By no means do I mean to take advantage of the Helpers, however it is easy for things to become lost in communication. As for your second question, the answers are 9 and -8.

I do not feel that you are trying to take advantage of anyone here. Sorry if you felt that way. It is just so students fail to answer questions and you were the unlucky one that I decided to lash out at. I apologize

You only got one out of the two questions correct. Please show us how you got 9 and -8.

Sorry, I misread the superscript for the 3 as a 2. I meant to say -27 and -8.

As for how I went about coming up with this:
(-3)^3= (-3)(-3)(-3) = -27
-2^3= -2*-2*-2 = -8

The 2nd one is correct but for the wrong reason!

2^3 = 8 and if you put a minus sign in from of it you get -2^3 = -8. That is -2^3 = - 2*2*2 = -8.
Yes, you got the correct answer but if the power had been even you would get it wrong!

-2^4 = -2*-2*-2*-2 = 16 is not correct! -2^4 = - 2*2*2*2= -16 NOT 16!