Graph f(x) = -3x, g(x) = -3x - 5 on same coord. system; describe relationship

Yellie

Graph the given functions, f and g, in the same rectangular coordinate system. Describe how the graph of g is related to the graph of f.
f(x)=-3x
g(x)=-3x-5

I know how to do this when it gives me integers but this problem gives me nothing.

Graph the given functions, f and g, in the same rectangular coordinate system. Describe how the graph of g is related to the graph of f.
f(x)=-3x
g(x)=-3x-5

I know how to do this when it gives me integers but this problem gives me nothing.
Um... All of the coefficients in the two functional statements they've given you here *are* integers. So I'm not understanding what you mean by "this problem gives me nothing" (it gives you two functions and specific instructions), nor your reference to "integers".

Kindly please reply with clarification. Thank you!

f(x)=-3x
g(x)=-3x-5

I suppose you may be saying that are just starting to learn to graph equations; you have seen other problems where they give you an equation and tell you to plot points corresponding to, say, x = -2, -1, 0, 1, and 2, then plot the line through them.

If you haven't done any problems where you are free to choose your own points, then that is what they expect you to do now: Choose whatever values of x you like (my list would be a good start), and plot the points.

Do the same for both equations, and you'll have plotted two lines. You are then asked how those lines are related.

f(x)=-3x
g(x)=-3x-5

What's so special about integers? Can't you compute [imath]-3x[/imath] or [imath]-3x-5[/imath] when [imath]x[/imath] isn't integer?

I suspect s/he meant "positive numbers".
I think they meant integers in general, because books commonly tell beginning students to use three or more integer values for x, just because that's easier than other numbers both to calculate and to plot. They may also point out that you should use multiples of any divisor involved (e.g. use even numbers to plot y = x/2 + 3).

In this example especially, negative values of x are a very good idea. (I originally suggested 0, 1, 2, 3, but changed it when I saw the negative slope and intercept.)

f(x)=-3x
g(x)=-3x-5

If you actually do what the question tells you to do (ie: "Graph the given functions") then answering it becomes a fairly simple problem. (See here.)

(Remember, the question tells you to "
Graph" the functions provided so you will have to draw your own graph to provide a complete answer to your tutor/teacher. ?)

Please now come back and tell us how you think the graph of
g is related to the graph of f. Thank you.

Hope that helps. ?

Last edited:
Pick 5 values for x and plug then into the f function and the g function. Then look at the y values from f and g. Do you notice anything.

f(x)=-3x
g(x)=-3x-5

AWOL