Hard Number Theory Problem

Ben123456

How many positive integer solution sets does the following equation have:

A^2 - 42 = B^2 + C^2

Prove your answer.

No, sorry but YOU need to prove your answer. This is a help forum where we help students solve their problem vs just giving out the answer.

I guess that you failed to not read our guidelines. If you want help then please show us what you have tried and where you are stuck. Then we can guide you from there. Thank you.

No, sorry but YOU need to prove your answer. This is a help forum where we help students solve their problem vs just giving out the answer.

I guess that you failed to not read our guidelines. If you want help then please show us what you have tried and where you are stuck. Then we can guide you from there. Thank you.

I have done A LOT of work on this problem. In fact, I was the one to make up the problem. I was interested on seeing how people approached the problem. It ends up dealing with cool concepts from number theory such as primes and semi-primes. So if you are able to tackle this problem, it would be intriguing to me on how you came up with your solution.

Beer soaked ramblings follow.
I have done A LOT of work on this problem. In fact, I was the one to make up the problem. I was interested on seeing how people approached the problem. It ends up dealing with cool concepts from number theory such as primes and semi-primes. So if you are able to tackle this problem, it would be intriguing to me on how you came up with your solution.
You should should have posted it at the missing challenge problem subforum.
Or you could post it here at MarkFL's other home.