Help, Quadratic Function table

KidDeveloper

I am having trouble figuring out how to graph this problem? At first I tried to just use the numbers in the table but the parabola was extremely wide/big. Any help for the parts b - e? (You have to zoom in to see the problem clearly)

Attachments

• mathhelp.jpg
    mathhelp.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 5
I am having trouble figuring out how to graph this problem? At first I tried to just use the numbers in the table but the parabola was extremely wide/big. Any help for the parts b - e? (You have to zoom in to see the problem clearly)
Please show your work for a.

Edit: looked it up.

Sorry, I am not familiar with this approach. How does it show that the data fits a quadratic function?

Edit: looked it up.

Sorry, I am not familiar with this approach. How does it show that the data fits a quadratic function?
My teacher never explained it to us just told us to look up 2nd difference rule in our own time. But apparently this is a second difference table not certain tho. In your opinion is it or is it not quadratic?

You are right that since the second differences are constant, a quadratic function will fit the points.

There are ways to determine the function's coefficients from the table of differences, but apparently you haven't been taught that part, as they are leading you in a different direction.

But why can't you plot the graph? Just label the axes appropriately (0 to 6 or so for x, 0 to 150 or so for y) and plot the points. Are you trying to use some particular software or other method, and don't know how to set the scale, perhaps? We'll need to see your work for the parts you are struggling with, so we can help your specific struggles. The parabola will be tall, not wide.

Once you have a graph (or even just visualize it in your head, as I am doing!) it should be easy to answer (c). Possibly before answering (e) you are expected to write the equation for the function, but I am surprised they didn't explicitly ask for it. That would be the best way to answer (e).

I am handicapped by not knowing what specific techniques you have been taught. Perhaps, if you need more help, you can tell us what was covered before this exercise.

I should also comment on the fact that this is called a "unit exam". Are you allowed to have help on it?

You are right that since the second differences are constant, a quadratic function will fit the points.

There are ways to determine the function's coefficients from the table of differences, but apparently you haven't been taught that part, as they are leading you in a different direction.

But why can't you plot the graph? Just label the axes appropriately (0 to 6 or so for x, 0 to 150 or so for y) and plot the points. Are you trying to use some particular software or other method, and don't know how to set the scale, perhaps? We'll need to see your work for the parts you are struggling with, so we can help your specific struggles. The parabola will be tall, not wide.

Once you have a graph (or even just visualize it in your head, as I am doing!) it should be easy to answer (c). Possibly before answering (e) you are expected to write the equation for the function, but I am surprised they didn't explicitly ask for it. That would be the best way to answer (e).

I am handicapped by not knowing what specific techniques you have been taught. Perhaps, if you need more help, you can tell us what was covered before this exercise.

I should also comment on the fact that this is called a "unit exam". Are you allowed to have help on it?
yes this is a study guide for the exam, she said this specific problem will be on the exam just with different numbers so I am trying to get the best possible idea on how to solve it quickly and correctly

EDIT: How would I find the equation from this table?

The ways I know would probably be too much to learn when you are supposed to be learning other things. It will be best if we do what your teacher wants you to do, which is to learn what you were taught.

Please answer my questions, by showing your own work so I can see where you are having trouble graphing, and how you attempt the next parts. Our help is a lot more efficient when you follow our guidelines so we know what you need: