Help understanding when an equation is linear

Nemanjavuk69

I am studying Linear Equations and need help understanding WHY the equation I have put a red square around IS NOT linear. I have a hard time figuring out when something is linear and when it is not.

I am using the book (linear algebra and its applications sixth global edition).

I understand that the first equation is linear, since we can write it as [imath]a_1x_1+a_2x_2+a_3x_3=b[/imath]
However, why is that not possible with the second equation? Why can't we just do this [math]x_2=2\sqrt{x_1}-6 <=> 6=2\sqrt{x_1}-x_2[/math]. so that way we can have all our variables on one side and the coefficient on the other side. Is the second equation not linear BECAUSE [math]4x_1-5x_2=x_1x_2[/math] consists only of variables? If so, why does the author not just write that instead of saying "and [imath]\sqrt{x_1}[/imath] in the second" hinting that there is something wrong with equation 2.2 also?
1662748183365.png

I am studying Linear Equations and need help understanding WHY the equation I have put a red square around IS NOT linear. I have a hard time figuring out when something is linear and when it is not.

I am using the book (linear algebra and its applications sixth global edition).

I understand that the first equation is linear, since we can write it as [imath]a_1x_1+a_2x_2+a_3x_3=b[/imath]
However, why is that not possible with the second equation? Why can't we just do this [math]x_2=2\sqrt{x_1}-6 <=> 6=2\sqrt{x_1}-x_2[/math]. so that way we can have all our variables on one side and the coefficient on the other side. Is the second equation not linear BECAUSE [math]4x_1-5x_2=x_1x_2[/math] consists only of variables? If so, why does the author not just write that instead of saying "and [imath]\sqrt{x_1}[/imath] in the second" hinting that there is something wrong with equation 2.2 also?
View attachment 33988
In [imath]4x_1 - 5x_2 = x_1 x_2[/imath] you are multiplying the [imath]x_1[/imath] and [imath]x_2[/imath] variables. All the variables need to be only added to each other, not multiplied.

In [imath]x_2 = 2 \sqrt{x_1} - 6[/imath] you are taking the square root of one of the variables. All variables have to be to the first power.

-Dan

In [imath]4x_1 - 5x_2 = x_1 x_2[/imath] you are multiplying the [imath]x_1[/imath] and [imath]x_2[/imath] variables. All the variables need to be only added to each other, not multiplied.

In [imath]x_2 = 2 \sqrt{x_1} - 6[/imath] you are taking the square root of one of the variables. All variables have to be to the first power.

-Dan
Ohhh, that really makes sense. I have one more curious question I hope you have time to answer. Regarding your second line of comment saying "All variables have to be to the first power". I know that taking the square root of a variable is the same as saying [imath]x^{\frac{1}{2}}[/imath]. Is this what you mean by, that all variables have to be to the first power? I am curious, because, what if the variable was, let's say 4, the square root of 4 would be 2 which is the same as saying [imath]2^{1}[/imath]. Is it just a definition case where we agreed, that taking a square root of a variable is not fulfilling the condition of the system being linear?

Thank you for your help and answer!

-Nemanja

The coefficients of the xi can have powers other than 1. However, to be linear you have to have the variable, xi, raised to the 1st power and nothing else. Just look carefully at the definition of a linear equation that you posted above.

The coefficients of the xi can have powers other than 1. However, to be linear you have to have the variable, xi, raised to the 1st power and nothing else. Just look carefully at the definition of a linear equation that you posted above.
Makes completely sense. I understand. Thank you very much for elaborating. Both you and Dan helped a lot. Have a great day/ night forward!

-Nemanja