How do I go about solving this problem? Let f(t) = |t| for -1<t<1; find periodic soln to x"+(pi)^2 x = f(t)

corolla

1701060281090.png
If anyone can recommend or suggest anything, that would be great. Any website or video I can go to and learn to solve this would be awesome too.

Last edited:
I haven't tried to solve this yet, but my guts tell me to look at solutions for [imath]-1\leq t\leq 0[/imath] and [imath]0 \leq t \leq 1[/imath], then see if they can be spliced into a single periodic function.

For the particular integral, begin by calculating the Fourier series for f(t), it will be a series of cosine terms since f(t) is an even function.
Assume a matching series for x(t), same cosine terms but unknown coefficients.
Substitute into the de and equate coefficients across the equation. That should get you the unknown coefficients in the x(t) series.
For the general solution of the equation add that to the solution of the homogeneous equation.

Last edited:
I haven't tried to solve this yet, but my guts tell me to look at solutions for [imath]-1\leq t\leq 0[/imath] and [imath]0 \leq t \leq 1[/imath], then see if they can be spliced into a single periodic function.
This approach worked for me, here is one solution from the family:
058.png

For the particular integral, begin by calculating the Fourier series for f(t), it will be a series of cosine terms since f(t) is an even function.
Assume a matching series for x(t), same cosine terms but unknown coefficients.
Substitute into the de and equate coefficients across the equation. That should get you the unknown coefficients in the x(t) series.
For the general solution of the equation add that to the solution of the homogeneous equation.
I might be missing something, but I wouldn't expect this to work: Fourier series for [imath]f(t)[/imath] will have infinite number of terms, so we'd end up with an infinite number of unknowns. The solution I found is, IMHO, simpler than that.

I might be missing something, but I wouldn't expect this to work: Fourier series for [imath]f(t)[/imath] will have infinite number of terms, so we'd end up with an infinite number of unknowns. The solution I found is, IMHO, simpler than that.
The question asks for the solution as a series, (assumed infinite in length).
The series for x(t) will have an infinite number of terms but so does the Fourier series on which it is based.
The relationship between the two sets of coefficients is fairly simple making it easy to write down the general term of the x(t) series.

The question asks for the solution as a series, (assumed infinite in length).
The series for x(t) will have an infinite number of terms but so does the Fourier series on which it is based.
The relationship between the two sets of coefficients is fairly simple making it easy to write down the general term of the x(t) series.
You are right, I missed that part.