How do I prove my condition is sufficient?

Neerv

Let
$k$
be a positive real number. The square with vertices
$(k,0),$
$(0,k),$
$(-k,0),$
and
$(0,-k)$
is plotted in the coordinate plane. It is possible to draw an ellipse so that it is tangent to all sides of the square.

Find necessary and sufficient conditions on
$a > 0$
and
$b > 0$
such that the ellipse

\[\frac{x^2}{a^2} + \frac{y^2}{b^2} = 1\]

is tangent to all sides of the square.

Make sure to prove that your conditions are both necessary (
$\text{the ellipse being tangent to all the square's sides} \implies \text{your conditions}$
) and sufficient (
$\text{your conditions} \implies \text{the ellipse being tangent to all the square's sides}$
).

Suppose that the line
$x + y = k$
is tangent to the ellipse

\[\frac{x^2}{a^2} + \frac{y^2}{b^2} = 1.\]

My answer so far:

We can begin by solving the the system x^2/a^2 + y^2/b^2 = 1, x+y = k. Then we can subsitute y = -x + k and simplyifing the equation. This results in us having (a^2+b^2)x^2+(-2a^2k)x+(a^2k^2-a^2b^2) = 0.

The discriminant of this equation must be 0 for there to be only one solution where the ellipse touches each side of the square at only one point. We know that the discriminant is b^2-4ac. Substituting gives us (-2a^2k)^2-4(b^2+a^2)(a^2k^2-a^2b^2). This simplifies to 4a^2b^2(a^2+b^2-k^2). Solving this equation for k gives us k^2 = a^2+b^2.

Since a, b, and k are all positive, k = sqrt(a^2+b^2) is the necessary and sufficient condition such that the ellipse x^2/a^2 + y^2/b^2 = 1, is tangent to all sides of the square.

I need help proving my condition is sufficient. Help is greatly appreciated.

Why not just find the equation of the ellipse, which is centered at the origin, that has the endpoints of the major and minor axis at (0,k), (0-k), (k,0) and (-k,0) and then compute the derivative to get what you want.

Is there a special name for this ellipse? What is it called?

Did you draw a diagram??

Why not just find the equation of the ellipse, which is centered at the origin, that has the endpoints of the major and minor axis at (0,k), (0-k), (k,0) and (-k,0) and then compute the derivative to get what you want.

Is there a special name for this ellipse? What is it called?

Did you draw a diagram??
Unfortunately, I haven't learned derivatives. And I didn't draw a diagram.

Unfortunately, I haven't learned derivatives. And I didn't draw a diagram.
OK, if you draw the square and insert an ellipse inside it all the results you are looking for will be obvious. Please post your graph, otherwise it is hard to help you. What is the equation of that ellipse?