I Created A Math Facebook Challenge - Will You Check My Answer?

gidgetgirl

Hi Friends,

I made one of those Algebra picture questions that have been floating around Facebook to share with my Disney group. (Yes, I'm stuck at home right now!!!)

Will you look at my challenge below, and also look at my answer?

I want to make sure it's correct before I post it. :)

Thank you so much!

Attachments

• MickeyMath.jpg
    MickeyMath.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 11
  • Mickey Math Answer.jpg
    Mickey Math Answer.jpg
    323.3 KB · Views: 10
3f = 24 --> f = 8
3Minnie = 30 --> Minnie = 10
3Micky = 39 --> Micky = 13

Try the last line again...

-Dan

Hey Dan, Thank you so much for taking the time to look this over. I was trying to make it an extra hard brain teaser, so there are some tricks for the eye that you have to zoom in to see (copying a technique that I've seen on other similar problems):
- there are 5 flowers in Mickey's bouquet on line four
- there is a single flower on Minnie's cupcake on line four

Given that my variables are:
Bouquet of 4 flowers is B = 8
Single flower is f = 2
Minnie Mouse (just by herself) is m = 10
Mickey Mouse (just by himself) is M = 5

I broke down my variables and thinking on the last image. But I'm just not sure if my final equation is correct?
(5f + M) + (m+f) * B = Answer

Or if I solved it correctly? I got 111 for my final answer.

As far as I can tell, Mickey has only two extra petals, not a whole flower; and neither that nor Minnie's flower has a stem. So I say the answer is indeterminate. Your answer assumes that a partially visible partial flower has the same value as one whole flower in a bouquet, and that is not really logical.

But I have to say that I despise these trick puzzles, which rely on hiding small changes to fool the reader. I suppose your answer is logical, but it irritates me. Is that the intended reaction? (Social distancing does not mean you're supposed to alienate yourself from all your friends.)

Hey Dan, Thank you so much for taking the time to look this over. I was trying to make it an extra hard brain teaser, so there are some tricks for the eye that you have to zoom in to see (copying a technique that I've seen on other similar problems):
- there are 5 flowers in Mickey's bouquet on line four
- there is a single flower on Minnie's cupcake on line four

Given that my variables are:
Bouquet of 4 flowers is B = 8
Single flower is f = 2
Minnie Mouse (just by herself) is m = 10
Mickey Mouse (just by himself) is M = 5
Why do we care about how many flowers are in a bouquet?
Yes, f = 8.
Yes, m = 10
But 3 Mickeys (with flowers each) = 39 so Mickey is equal to 13, not 5.

So we are left with M + m x f = 13 + 10 x 8 = 13 + 80 = 93.

-Dan

I was trying to make it an extra hard brain teaser
There are many ways to to make a brain teaser extra hard. Hiding flowers is not one of them. May as well throw banana peels on the sidewalk and
post videos of falling people on youtube.

There are many ways to to make a brain teaser extra hard. Hiding flowers is not one of them. May as well throw banana peels on the sidewalk and
post videos of falling people on youtube.
Do you have a lik to those videos? I'm getting real bored staying at home.

What area?
Youtube videos where people throw banana peels on the sidewalk and post videos of falling people. I was just joking but am really going crazy staying home all the time.

Thank you everyone for your input. I appreciate it and I will take your opinions under advisement. I can certainly alter the artwork to make the quantities of items more clear.

Given the variables I created (and assuming I update the artwork), does the final equation and the order of operations arrive at the correct answer?

That is actually a really great ''challenge'' mate. I would actually like for us to have more challenges like this on the social networks. So our children and in general the younger generation would start using their brains a little more. Use the brain in the moment when they actually forget about it while being on the social networks. Really great job, keep going!