i need help please

danithename

i think this is a variation problem but i need help.

A coffee company has 1440 pounds of sumatran coffee and 700 pounds of kona coffee a batch of hawaiian blend requires 8 pounds of sumatran and yeilds a profit of $90. A batch of classic blend requires 4 pounds of kona and 16 pounds of sumatran and yeilds a $55 profit. How many batches of each kind should be made in order to maximize profit? What is the Maximum profit?

I have not tried to much of this problem just because i just dont do well with word problems if you could offer any help i would apperciate it thank you!

Hello, danithename!

Is there a typo? .Did you omit something?
As given, the problem has a silly solution.

A coffee company has 1440 pounds of Sumatran coffee and 700 pounds of Kona coffee.

A batch of Hawaiian blend requires 8 lbs of Sumatran and yields a profit of $90.
. .
Is there something missing here?

A batch of classic blend requires 4 lbs of Kona and 16 lbs of Sumatran and yields a $55 profit.

How many batches of each blend should be made in order to maximize profit?
What is the Maximum profit?

yeah sorry hawaiian blend requires 8 pounds of kona and 12 pounds of sumatran and yeilds a profit of $90.

danithename said:

A coffee company has 1440 pounds of sumatran coffee and 700 pounds of kona coffee a batch of hawaiian blend requires 8 pounds of kona and 12 pounds of sumatran and yeilds a profit of $90. A batch of classic blend requires 4 pounds of kona and 16 pounds of sumatran and yeilds a $55 profit. How many batches of each kind should be made in order to maximize profit? What is the Maximum profit?

I have not tried to much of this problem just because i just dont do well with word problems if you could offer any help i would apperciate it thank you!

This is a problem of optimization. For "worked out " example problems - please go to:

http://www.purplemath.com/modules/linprog.htm

Then please come back - show your work and tell us where you are stuck. Then we would know where to begin to help you.

4k+16=55
-16 -16
4k=39
4 4
k=9.75

s=1440 k=700
8k+12s=90
4k+16s=55
8(55-16s\4)+12s=90
110-32s+12s=90
110-20s=90
-110 -110
-20s=-20
-20 -20
s=1
profit
k=$9.75
s=$1.00

sumatran amount =A
Kona amount=B
($9.75A+B=P)~hawaiian
($9.75*A\2+4/3)=P~classic
9.75a+b+9.75/2*A+4/3B=p
14.625A=7/3B=p

i did not put that this is as far as i got now im and uber confused i dont know how to explain how i did it and i need a graph i believe im am so confused

danithename said:

A coffee company has 1440 pounds of sumatran coffee and 700 pounds of kona coffee a batch of hawaiian blend requires 8 pounds of kona and 12 pounds of sumatran and yeilds a profit of $90. A batch of classic blend requires 4 pounds of kona and 16 pounds of sumatran and yeilds a $55 profit. How many batches of each kind should be made in order to maximize profit? What is the Maximum profit?

Ok....it looks from your work that you might need a "push" in the right direction.

The first thing you should do is define the variables you are going to use. I'll define them this way:

let x = number of batches of Hawaiian blend produced
let y = number of batches of Classic blend produced

Now, the profit earned on 1 batch of Hawaiian blend is $90, so if x batches are produced, the profit will be 90x. The profit earned on 1 batch of Classic blend is $55, so if y batches are produced, the profit will be 55y.

total profit = profit on Hawaiian blend + profit on Classic blend
total profit = 90x + 55y <-----this is the "objective function"....the quantity you want to maximize

There are some constraints that must be considered:

First, there are 1440 pounds of Sumatran coffee. Each batch of Hawaiian blend takes 12 pounds of Sumatran coffee, so "x" batches will use up 12x pounds. And each batch of Classic coffee takes 16 pounds of Sumatran coffee, so "y" batches will require 16y pounds of Sumatran coffee. Since there are only 1440 pounds of Sumatran coffee available,

12x + 16y < 1440

Second, there are 700 pounds of Kona coffee available. Each batch of Hawaiian blend requires 8 pounds of Kona coffee, so it will require 8x pounds of Kona to produce "x" batches of Hawaiian blend. And each batch of Classic blend uses 4 pounds of Kona coffee; to produce "y" batches of Classic blend they will need 4y pounds of Kona coffee. The total amount of Kona coffee used cannot exceed the 700 available pounds, so

8x + 4y < 700

Third, they cannot produce a negative number of batches, so

x > 0
y > 0

Graph the region which satisfies all of the constraints....this is known as the "feasible region." Any point within this region should satisfy all of the constraints, but you'll find the maximum and minimum values of the objective function at a vertex, or corner, of the region. So...graph the feasible region, and test the coordinates of each corner in the objective function to find which gives the maximum.

If this is still a mystery for you, I think you'll need to talk to your teacher, as we can't provide instruction here.

ok so i set everything up and i solved for everything and got the graph but now i need to find the vertex and i dont know how to find it please help

danithename said:
ok so i set everything up and i solved for everything and got the graph but now i need to find the vertex and i dont know how to find it please help

I GAVE you all of the inequalities.

The vertices of the feasible region are where the equations of these lines intersect:

x = 0
y = 0
12x + 16y = 1440
8x + 4y = 700

If you cannot find the intersections of these lines (which are the "corners" of the feasible region) then you need to seek help from your classroom teacher.