Identifying coordinates of a triangle plotted on a graph.

MathTrigTexas

Thank you for any assistance.

My challenge is a 30, 60, 90 triangle with a right angle C and CD is the longer leg. I need to find the missing coordinates of P in the IIII quadrant. The coordinates I do have are C (-3, -6) and D (-3, 7). The hypotenuse is the PD leg.

I understand that using a 30 = x and 60 is = to x √3 and 90 is 2x. I am able to use this to solve problems when the sides have lengths, but have not been able to solve the problems when I need to plot them on a graph.

One of the plotted points will be negative 6, but I am unsure how to solve the remainder. Thank you again.

My challenge is a 30, 60, 90 triangle with a right angle C and CD is the longer leg. I need to find the missing coordinates of P in the IIII quadrant. The coordinates I do have are C (-3, -6) and D (-3, 7). The hypotenuse is the PD leg.

I understand that using a 30 = x and 60 is = to x √3 and 90 is 2x.

The above highlights the important of clear labelling. What you have posted (namely, that [imath]x = 30[/imath] and [imath]2x = 90[/imath]) says that [imath]x[/imath] equals both [imath]30[/imath] and [imath]45[/imath], which obviously doesn't make sense.

By "30 = x", do you mean "I am using [imath]x[/imath] to stand for the length of the side opposite the [imath]30\degree[/imath] angle"?

I am able to use this to solve problems when the sides have lengths, but have not been able to solve the problems when I need to plot them on a graph.

Plot the two given points. The length of segment CD should be immediately obvious.

One of the plotted points will be negative 6, but I am unsure how to solve the remainder.

On the [imath]x,y[/imath]-plane, there are no points with a single coordinate. Do you perhaps mean that, because the right angle is at vertex C and since CD is vertical, therefore the segment CP will be horizontal, so therefore the [imath]y[/imath]-coordinate will be equal to [imath]-6[/imath]?

When you reply, please clarify the vertex which labels the [imath]30\degree[/imath] angle and which labels the [imath]60\degree[/imath] angle. Thank you!

Sometimes we require 3 numbers - when in 3-D system.
Yes, I know that. In fact, sometimes a point requires n numbers. I thought about making that point but didn't want to confuse the student. Keep in mind that this student thinks that negative 6 is a point.

Yes, I know that. In fact, sometimes a point requires n numbers. I thought about making that point but didn't want to confuse the student. Keep in mind that this student thinks that negative 6 is a point.
I know - you know that!

That comment was directed toward the OP - not toward Darwin!!