If grades are A, C, C, and Pass, then what's the GPA?

chessguyjim

If someone has grades of A, C, C, and a Pass, what is the GPA?

If you consider just the A, C, and C, the GPA is a 2.67, but how do you factor the Pass into it? All the classes are 3 credits each so they all have equal weight. You could consider Pass a 4.0 but that would be an 'A' and a Pass is not the same as an 'A.' However, a Fail would be the same as an 'F' a 0.0.

I'm sure there is some algorithmic formula to figure this out, or maybe different mathematical theories that one could use. Please let me know. I'm looking for math theories that will provide an answer other then "GPA is representing the grade point average. Since Pass/No Pass is not a grade it won't be part of the GPA."

In my school, Pass is not counted, but a fail is. Therefore I would assume something like this:

(Keep in mind, this is completely over-complicating the situation.. kind of like swatting a fly with a tank)

Let all gades have the value of their respective GPA's and let the GPA of a "Pass" grade be -1.

Let G(i) be the GPA of the grade from class i for any i, and Let Cr(i) be the number of Credits for class i. Your GPA can then be determined with the following pseudo code:

Let n=number of classes, sum=0, credits=0

For i = 1 to n
If G(i) <> -1 Then
sum = sum + G(i)*Cr(i)
credits = credits + Cr(i)
end if
Next i

Grade = sum/credits

Was that what you were looking for?

In summation notation I guess one could to the following:

Sum1= \(\displaystyle \L \sum_{i=1}^n |G(i)|Cr(i)\)

Sum2 = \(\displaystyle \L \sum_{i=1}^n G(i)Cr(i)\)

Credits = \(\displaystyle \L \sum_{i=1}^n Cr(i) \,\, - \,\, \frac{1}{2}(Sum1-Sum2)\)

Grade = \(\displaystyle \L \frac{Sum1}{Credits}\).

This formula worked in a few instances I've done, but may not work for all. When I get a chance, I'll compare outputs with one I know works.
BTW, if no one has came up with this formula/idea yet, I claim all rights :D

chessguyjim said:
I'm sure there is some algorithmic formula to figure this out, or maybe different mathematical theories that one could use.
I'm not sure what you mean by "mathematical theories" for computing grade-point averages, since this is just simple arithmetic...?

For the specifics of how grades are computed at your educational institution, please consult with the student catalog or your academic advisor.

Eliz.

My original formula had an error, but that was easily fixed. Here is one that works:

\(\displaystyle \L GPA \,\, = \,\, \frac{\frac{1}{2} \sum_{i=1}^n |G(i)|Cr(i) \,\, + \frac{1}{2}\sum_{i=1}^n G(i)Cr(i)}{\sum_{i=1}^n Cr(i) \,\, - \,\, \frac{1}{2} \sum_{i=1}^n |G(i)|Cr(i) \,\, + \frac{1}{2}\sum_{i=1}^n G(i)Cr(i)}\)

This can probably be simplified even further, but I haven't tried. You might get unsuual fractions halfway through the computation, but in the end you should have the correct number.