if we add 4.50x to 2.50 x what does it makes?

You need to talk with your teacher ...

igor_iv837 said:
If we add 4.50x to 2.50x Does it makes 7.00+2x?

THIS IS ONLY TRUE WHEN x = 1.4

4.5(1.4) + 2.5(1.4) = 7 + 2(1.4)

6.3 + 3.5 = 7 + 2.8

9.8 = 9.8

IF WE DON'T KNOW THE VALUE OF x, THEN 4.5x + 2.5x = 7x

Igor, please tell me what grade you're in.

Thank you.

~ Mark :)

MATH 100 ...Its College Algebra mixed with Geometry why>? ...I know mark, i'm pretty weak in math, its my worst subject :(

Math placements ...

igor_iv837 said:
MATH 101 ...Its College Algebra mixed with Geometry why>? ...I know mark, i'm pretty weak in math, its my worst subject :(

I was curious to know whether or not you were taking a college-level math course; MATH101 (MATH100 at some colleges) is the beginning of college level math.

I don't know how the decision was made to enroll in this class (eg: placement test, academic counselor, nothing), but I think you may be in the wrong class. I'm concerned that you need one or two remedial courses in beginning algebra.

At a two-year college, the courses would be something like MATH098 and MATH099.

Since you're not sure how to add 4.5x to 2.5x, I believe that you will not be very successful in MATH101. We cannot teach a remedial math course at this site, but, even if we could, you probably would suffer in both trying to take them both at once.

I think that you should make an appointment with your instructor to discuss whether or not you should drop MAT100 right away in order to get into a beginning algebra class.

~ Mark :|

You know how many times I dropped Math already? I took pre Algebra, and that stuff it seemed like I knew how to do but when test would cum everything would get mixed up in my head.... Its like my last chance, and if I fail...I will leave college.....my life is sad

igor_iv837 said:
You know how many times I dropped Math already? I took pre Algebra ... Its like my last chance, and if I fail I will leave college ... my life is sad

Have you considered not enrolling in any other classes during the same quarter that you take math? In other words, if you're going to take a math class, then don't enroll in any other classes for that same quarter. Focus all of your resources to devoting 10+ hours toward DOING math per day. For most people who struggle with math, mass repetition is the way.

Keep plugging away until you finally get it.

If you eventually leave college because you can't pass the math requirements, then all is not lost. The credits you've earned thus far last forever; you can always go back when you have more life experience (and, therefore, real math experience in the real world).

Maybe you'll find math studies easier if you're not under the pressures of performance and timetables. You could self-study while not enrolled; you could go to college part-time.

I did not go to college until I was in my 30s because I really had no interest in learning until I matured. Also, I started college taking only night courses because I drove an ambulance for 12-hour and 24-hour shifts. It took me five years to earn an Associate of Science degree from the community college. (I may have been slow, but I had a 3.98 GPA to go with my degree.)

Then, I transferred to the University of Washington, and, well, that's another story ...

There were a couple dozen math problems assigned per day when I started at the community college. Often, I had to study from 10PM until 2AM doing 50 problems per day because that is how long it took for the concepts to finally sink in.

College is NOT easy, but there are ways to make it easier (such as I did with part-time enrollment, combined with waiting until later in life). I really think that you should speak with your instructor.

~ Mark :)

igor_iv837 said:
If we add 4.50x to 2.50 x Does it makes 7.00+2x?
Poor Igor...you sure seem to have a poor teacher...

OK: 2 apples + 3 apples = 5 apples, right?
Same way, 2x + 3x = 5x : don't let a variable letter confuse you; x could represent apples: get it?

So 4.5x + 2.5x = (4.5 + 2.5)x = 7x : KEEP IT SIMPLE :shock: