Indices and Roots

MuddledMaths

Hey, Can someone explain how you simplify something like 16/√2 (sixteen over root two) into a power of 2?
The answer is 2 to the power of 1/8 but I'm not sure how you get that.
Thanks in advance and sorry for bothering anyone, I know it might be a stupid question, but I just don't get it.

Hey, Can someone explain how you simplify something like 16/√2 (sixteen over root two) into a power of 2?
Thanks in advance and sorry for bothering anyone, I know it might be a stupid question, but I just don't get it.
I am not sure how one can get [imath]2^{1/8}[/imath] since it is a wrong answer.

But to get it right: you have a fraction where both numerator and denominator are powers of two -- do you know how to divide powers with the same base?

Can you manage basic operations? [imath]16=2^4~\&~\sqrt{2}=2^{\tfrac{1}{2}}[/imath]

[imath][/imath]

I am not sure how one can get [imath]2^{1/8}[/imath] since it is a wrong answer.

But to get it right: you have a fraction where both numerator and denominator are powers of two -- do you know how to divide powers with the same base?
Dont you then subtract the powers if the base is same? Like 10^4 / 10^2 = 10^2

Do you know about the rules for exponents? When to add? When to subtract?
We have all the laws in our notes, just not familiar enough to know them off the top of our heads

We have all the laws in our notes, just not familiar enough to know them off the top of our heads
But sort of ya

Yes - then

\(\displaystyle \frac{16}{\sqrt{2}} \ = \ \frac{2^4}{2^{\frac{1}{2}}} \ \) .......... continue
Oh. So then 4 - ½ = 3½
Ans- 2^3½

The rules you are referring, imo, should NOT be memorized. They should be easily seen in your head.

For example 23 by definition means 2*2*2, while 25 by definition means 2*2*2*2*2.
So 23*25 = (by definition) [2*2*2][2*2*2*2*2] = 2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2 = 28. Do you see the addition staring you in the face?

Now 25/23 (2*2*2*2*2)/(2*2*2) = 2*2=22. Do you see the two 2's canceling out?

But sort of ya

Oh. So then 4 - ½ = 3½
Ans- 2^3½
But sort of??????????????????

You can figure everything out from

[math]\text {For all } r > 0, r^0 = 1, \ r^a * r^b = r^{a+b}, \ r^a \div r^b = r^{a-b}, \ \sqrt[b]{r^a} = r^{a/b}. [/math]

I mean after the chapter and practicing the sums in exam papers we would be more familiar with them to be able to know which rules to use by just looking at the sum. We still need a little more help on things like equations involving indices because our teacher moves very fast through chapters. Our laws are in a different format but they are the same:
16656433692556909145184177016340.jpg

We just need a minute to understand which law to use cause we literally just started the chapter