Intro to subspaces - example clarificatio

Glaussesness

Hi,
My textbook gives some examples relating to subspaces but I am having trouble intuiting them.
Could someone please help me understand the five points they are attempting to convey here (see screenshot).
Again, I am aware that these are rather beginner but I would like to have an extremely solid foundation before moving forward - walking me through the finer points would be amazing.
Your patience with a fool is appreciated :)171E53FF-9E01-4988-AFD1-D9B6D2C72375.jpeg

My textbook gives some examples relating to subspaces but I am having trouble intuiting them. Could someone please help me understand the five points they are attempting to convey here (see screenshot).
Again, I am aware that these are rather beginner but I would like to have an extremely solid foundation before moving forward - walking me through the finer points would be amazing.
Glaussesness, on this forum you must post some work so that we know how to help.
To start. tell us how one shows that a set is a subspace of a space.
Then say how one would start doing part a).

Part(a): A subspace must be closed under addition and closed under scalar multiplication.

You can pick any values for x1, x2 and x4 in F, but x3 must equal 5x4 + b.

Now take any two vectors in F and add them. Under what conditions do you get back another vector in F. Then do the same for scalar multiplication. What are the conditions on b?

In the first problem any vector is of the form \(\displaystyle \left(x_1, x_2, 5x_4+ b, x_4\right)\) so two examples are (1, 3, 10+ b, 2) and (7, 3, -6+ b, -3). In a vector space, the sum of two vectors is a vector. The sum of those is (8, 6, 4+ 2b, -1). Is that of the form \(\displaystyle \left(x_1, x_2, 5x_4+ b, x_4\right)\)?

Also, the product of a scalar and a vector must be a vector.
2 times (1, 3, 10+ b, 2) is (2, 6, 20+ 2b, 4). Is that of the form
\(\displaystyle \left(x_1, x_2, 5x_4+ b, x_4\right)\)?