Irregularly shaped variable quadratics

wrterynern

I've been trying to do this for a while and I cant even figure out how to make an equation for it. I think some info is missing as from my understanding its impossible to create an equation if the 2 lines that are the same (the lines with the lines on them) are not possible to relate to anything. My tutor and and online tutor I found both couldn't figure it out. I emailed my teacher asking if anything was missing he said no. This is for pre cal 11 and in the quadratics unit.

Any help would be great
Thanks
wergwergwerg.PNG

I've been trying to do this for a while and I cant even figure out how to make an equation for it. I think some info is missing as from my understanding its impossible to create an equation if the 2 lines that are the same (the lines with the lines on them) are not possible to relate to anything. My tutor and and online tutor I found both couldn't figure it out. I emailed my teacher asking if anything was missing he said no. This is for pre cal 11 and in the quadratics unit.

Any help would be great
Thanks
View attachment 18709
What equation did you get for the perimeter?

What expression did you get for the area A =?

State your assumptions and show your work.

I couldn't get an equation or expression for anything because i could not relate the two identical sides with the lines on them to anything

I assume the blue line is irrelevant; at first I thought that was the fence.

Assuming the area and perimeter in the question refer to the black line, I wonder if the x's are meant to be the two marked lines you refer to. You don't need to know the lengths of the lines the x's seem to be next to (for the perimeter, at least); and none of the expressions are very close to lines anyway. It's a very poorly drawn and written problem.

But if it is true that those lines are unlabeled, just call them z and proceed!

I couldn't get an equation or expression for anything because i could not relate the two identical sides with the lines on them to anything
Assume the length of those two horizontal lines, each = h

Assume the length of the vertical line = v

Now get expressions for perimeter and area.

In addition, remember that the opposite sides of a rectangle, are equal in length.

Assume the length of those two horizontal lines, each = h

Assume the length of the vertical line = v

Now get expressions for perimeter and area.

In addition, remember that the opposite sides of a rectangle, are equal in length.
The vertical line you can call 5y-2x but the other 2 lines cant be related to anything and can only be named another variable such as "z". If I do so I cannot simplify the equation or solve for any variables and I cannot find a way to answer the questions. I had 2 online tutors help me and they both separately came to the same conclusion. Is there any other way you can see or am I missing something? Im not sure what to do.

Thanks for your time and help

I assume the blue line is irrelevant; at first I thought that was the fence.

Assuming the area and perimeter in the question refer to the black line, I wonder if the x's are meant to be the two marked lines you refer to. You don't need to know the lengths of the lines the x's seem to be next to (for the perimeter, at least); and none of the expressions are very close to lines anyway. It's a very poorly drawn and written problem.

But if it is true that those lines are unlabeled, just call them z and proceed!
Sorry for the confusion yes the variables are in reference to the black lines. If i call those lines z i quickly become stuck and cant move on as the variable is unrelatable to anything and is impossible to get rid of or find another value for. I might be doing this incorrectly however. I can get to equations such as c=(-9y+21) and many more but none of them help me get farther. If you can find a way to get past this point could you please explain or show me.

Thanks for your time

What equation did you get for the perimeter?

What expression did you get for the area A =?

State your assumptions and show your work.
for the perimiter i got P=2(4y)+5y+2x+(5y-2x)+2z (z being the unknown two identical sides)
for the area i got A=((5y)(4y))-((5y-2x)c)
From those i can get equations like
c=(-9y+21)
y=-1/9(-9y+21)+7/3
y=(-1/9)c+7/3
But none of these seem to help

I also just assumed the "z" was equal to the x just to see what would happen and the vertex of the parabola gave me a min value not a max meaning that wouldn't even be right or work.