L.H. = R.H.: Prove Tan y + 1/tan y = 1/(Cos^2 y * tan y)

urimagic

Hi friends,

I have done this ...my way, just wondering if anyone could maybe show me a shorter method...or a better method, perhaps?...What I'm getting at is as far as I remember, doing Lh = Rh sums, you're only allowed to manipulate one of the sides...meaning, in this case, I HAVE to get the answer in the L.H side to match the R.H side AS IT WAS GIVEN... and refrain from manipulating the R.H side as well....is this an incorrect theory?..IMG20230610202907[1].jpg

Hi friends,

I have done this ...my way, just wondering if anyone could maybe show me a shorter method...or a better method, perhaps?...What I'm getting at is as far as I remember, doing Lh = Rh sums, you're only allowed to manipulate one of the sides...meaning, in this case, I HAVE to get the answer in the L.H side to match the R.H side AS IT WAS GIVEN... and refrain from manipulating the R.H side as well....is this an incorrect theory?..View attachment 35963
You could save some work by going directly to sines and cosines, but your work on the whole is fine.

What you've done, working on both sides and meeting up, is not wrong; to make this follow the form you were told to use, you can essentially just copy your right-hand column reading from bottom to top. Perhaps that is what you are saying.

Some teachers say that you can only work on one side. It doesn't matter at all if they say that.
All you do is write what you have on the rhs at the bottom of the lhs but in reverse order!

I HAVE to get the answer in the L.H side to match the R.H side AS IT WAS GIVEN... and refrain from manipulating the R.H side as well....is this an incorrect theory?..

No, that is not an incorrect method. This is not like solving a maze, which could involve starting from both ends and meeting somewhere in between. You want to be able to
show that you can write the continuous steps from one side only until it looks like the other given side. Those couple of steps you showed in the right-hand column would not be written there, but they can be useful written down in a separate scrap area to reverse the steps to finish the demonstration at the bottom of the left-hand column.

No, that is not an incorrect method. This is not like solving a maze, which could involve starting from both ends and meeting somewhere in between. You want to be able to
show that you can write the continuous steps from one side only until it looks like the other given side. Those couple of steps you showed in the right-hand column would not be written there, but they can be useful written down in a separate scrap area to reverse the steps to finish the demonstration at the bottom of the left-hand column.
Thank you, I understand what you mean...will see if I can actually re-write the L.H to be the same as the original R.H...thanks..