Large Font Sizes in Posts

LCKurtz

Most likely an age & eyesight problem (that’s why I use a larger font in my posts; so I can read ‘em) but, nevertheless, mea culpa! ?

Welcome to the age and eyesight club. I have similar problems (I'm 84). Most browsers and editors have a zoom mode where you can enlarge text to a convenient size for your own reading without actually posting large fonts. The problem with using capital letters and/or large fonts in forums like this is that besides being distracting, they can be and frequently are interpreted as yelling. Or, in my interpretation in this case, hyperventilating. For that reason some forums I have joined ban their use.
Apologies too to LCK.
Accepted.
I trust we are all now in agreement and no (further) umbrage taken? ?

Friends, huh? ?
Yes.

Welcome to the age and eyesight club. I have similar problems (I'm 84). Most browsers and editors have a zoom mode where you can enlarge text to a convenient size for your own reading without actually posting large fonts. The problem with using capital letters and/or large fonts in forums like this is that besides being distracting, they can be and frequently are interpreted as yelling. Or, in my interpretation in this case, hyperventilating. For that reason some forums I have joined ban their use.

Accepted.

Yes.
I take your point(s) and it's good to know I'm not the only ageing pedagogue in here (though I have to say that, at still just pushing seventy, I'm only a we'an by comparison! ?)

However, I do feel it impossible to avoid the feeling that there are certain words/phrases I
need to add emphasis to as I would certainly stress these in spoken commentary. (I do, occasionally, still find myself (frustratingly) "yelling" (at pupils, on the very odd occasions I still teach these days) but that's nothing to do with 'teaching', just addressing unacceptable 'behaviour'; I would only emphasise a particular learning point by slightly raising my voice on a specific word/phrase, or just repeating it once or twice!)

Whilst (some) long-term members may well see this as unnecessarily 'distracting', I still think it may be useful (to the OP's) to highlight particular things (especially if I suspect they might benefit from paying particular attention to them). I also prefer to use the TNR type face (which appears to me to be even tinier at the 'standard size') because that enables me to clearly distinguish between my writing and things I am quoting from other's posts (in their Ariel typeface).

I'm sorry (though not profoundly) if anyone (and some already have) objects to that practice but I'm likely to persist unless & until the 'powers that be' in the Forum tell me otherwise (in which case I'll likely just take my 'contributions' elsewhere; in a major huff! ?)

Thanks again, &
Best Wishes! ?

Most likely an age & eyesight problem (that’s why I use a larger font in my posts; so I can read ‘em) but, nevertheless, mea culpa! ?

If I may add to the discussion of your large font, now that it's been brought up ... I'm 69 and have some vision problems myself.

But have you considered that others who might be enlarging fonts on their own screens so they can see better, might have trouble reading yours because, enlarged, it takes several screenfuls to read? When the issue is your eyes, it makes more sense to use the features that help you read without affecting others' experience of the site. (Actually, I don't see how using a large font for what you write helps you use the site any better, unless you aren't interested in reading what others say! I find myself reminded of people with poor hearing who go around yelling at everyone around them.)

I have no objection to emphasizing certain words, and I don't think that's the issue; it's the overall screen-filling "loudness" that I find irritating.

@The Highlander
If I may be so bold to offer a solution that could work for everyone. You can enlarge and type in larger fonts for your own purposes. Once you finished reviewing and are ready to post. Just highlight all (or ctrl +A) and switch back the font to regular size.

If I may add to the discussion of your large font, now that it's been brought up ... I'm 69 and have some vision problems myself.

But have you considered that others who might be enlarging fonts on their own screens so they can see better, might have trouble reading yours because, enlarged, it takes several screenfuls to read? When the issue is your eyes, it makes more sense to use the features that help you read without affecting others' experience of the site. (Actually, I don't see how using a large font for what you write helps you use the site any better, unless you aren't interested in reading what others say! I find myself reminded of people with poor hearing who go around yelling at everyone around them.)

I have no objection to emphasizing certain words, and I don't think that's the issue; it's the overall screen-filling "loudness" that I find irritating.
Hmmm.?

The "
issue" is not just my own "eyes"! I sincerely believe (and continue to do so, despite your 'objections') that the way I format my posts is an advantage to the viewer(s), especially to the OP's I am (usually) directing them towards.

I am unaware of any 'built-in' feature of this Forum that facilitates enlargement of the content and when I enlarge the screen (using Windows' built-in Magnifier feature) I find that I then have to scroll back and forth from side to side to read the content! (A lot more annoying than having to scroll down while reading a post!)

If anyone needs to enlarge things to accommodate their failing eyesight by using other "tools" ("enlarging fonts on their own screens so they can see better") then perhaps they should thank me for obviating the need to do so by making my typeface large enough to see without any further enlargement? ?

However, it is certainly not my wish to be "irritating" such established members of the forum and so, since I have absolutely no intention of changing the way I think is "best" to display my contributions, I will, rather, be giving some further thought as to whether my 'presence' here is worthy of the time & effort it requires! ?

@The Highlander
If I may be so bold to offer a solution that could work for everyone. You can enlarge and type in larger fonts for your own purposes. Once you finished reviewing and are ready to post. Just highlight all (or ctrl +A) and switch back the font to regular size.
Thank you for that. I fully appreciate your attempt at a helpful intervention. ?

However, I think I have made my position clear in the post (above) that I was in the midst of composing before I saw your contribution. ?

I thought I had made "peace" with the others in this thread (by not reacting quite the way I felt at earlier posts) but it seems I can't avoid upsetting (some) others just by doing what I think is "best". That said, I won't labour the point(s) raised, on either side, any further; it's perhaps best if I just quietly disappear.

The server has already banned my IP indefinitely and I'm sick of the grammar/spelling checks trying to correct my (impeccable) English to comply with Americanisms, anyway! ?

I forgot to mention (though I had fully intended to) that I find the suggestion that I might not be "interested in reading what others say" not only scurrilous but unworthy of you as someone in whom I had particular reverence! And the reference to the hearing impaired I can only regard as a cheap jibe!

I am unaware of any 'built-in' feature of this Forum that facilitates enlargement of the content and when I enlarge the screen (using Windows' built-in Magnifier feature) I find that I then have to scroll back and forth from side to side to read the content!

I wouldn't recommend using the Magnifier to make your browser text larger. Please search the internet for, "how to increase the font size in XXX" where XXX is your particular internet browser (for example Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Firefox, Safari, etc). A little research should result in text that flows within the screen width, therefore you don't have to scroll left and right. Please see these 3 screen grabs from my own browser to show the effect of this (within the screen width, with fewer words per line obviously)...

zoom.png

This isn't part of this forum's software, it's a feature that should be within your browser and therefore it will work for all of your surfing needs. My browser also has the feature to zoom the text only - and this helps the sidebar on the left to stay narrow when you zoom the text of the post.

...I have no objection to emphasizing certain words, and I don't think that's the issue; it's the overall screen-filling "loudness" that I find irritating.
I forgot to mention (though I had fully intended to) that I find the suggestion that I might not be "interested in reading what others say" not only scurrilous but unworthy of you as someone in whom I had particular reverence! And the reference to the hearing impaired I can only regard as a cheap jibe!
I completely agree with Dr. Peterson's logic. I don't want to cause you any upset to stop you from posting (as I'm sure the others don't). I think it's fantastic that people help out on this forum. This says something very positive about you. I think that you can fit in, with your own particular style, without offending others - just by simply reducing the font size of your posts. Differentiate yourself via your chosen (Scottish) words :ROFLMAO: