Learning math alone

diogomgf

Hi, I'm from Portugal and I am 28 years old.

During my high-school years my best subject was math. Then my life turned upside-down as I went to college and changed to a very art-driven course and ended up not studying math for about 8 years (from 2010-2018).

I've been learning college math alone for quite some time now. I started in late 2018, but at a very slow pace because I work full time as a 3D artist (alot of the time I also work over-time :LOL:) . I bought a book on Linear Algebra, that is around 400 pages long and has lots of exercises that require full proofs. The first year or so, I only managed to study 2-6 hours a week and sometimes I spent full months without touching it, so I ended up only studying 50 pages or soo from the book. At the beggining of the year I decided to "put pedal to the metal" and in this last 4 months I studied around 90 pages of the book, studying around 12 hours per week or so.

This book feels really heavy, and the fact that I don't have any tutor to study with makes it all the harder.

What are your thoughts on the time it is taking me to study Linear Algebra, and what would be the "ideal" timeframe to complete the book? Considering I can't dedicate 100% to math, since i'm working...
Also, I spend 70% of the time on those pesky "proof" exercises, and I can't seem to be getting any better in solving them... Sometimes one of those exercises takes me around 3-5 hours... What can I do to get better at them?

Study at your own pace and do not move on until you understand it. Since this is not a course you are taking you can study at your own pace. I will not comment on the speed at which you are studying as it does not matter to me. You need to move at a pace that will enable you to teach this material to someone. As far as getting better with proof, well that comes with experience. If you ever are unsure about some concept or problem then you can always ask here. Good luck!

@diogomfg, work through the problems at a good pace. Make sure you fully understand how to solve them and dont push one away if you cant figure it out. Maybe consider an online tutor rather than a face to face. Also, what Jomo said, feel free to reach out for help on here of on other sites such as Brainly. Good luck!

@diogomfg, work through the problems at a good pace. Make sure you fully understand how to solve them and dont push one away if you cant figure it out. Maybe consider an online tutor rather than a face to face. Also, what Jomo said, feel free to reach out for help on here of on other sites such as Brainly. Good luck!
Thank you for the support.