Linear Algebra Proof -- Linear Dependence

TheWrathOfMath

Prove or Disprove: If v1, v2, v3 are linearly dependent vectors, then v1+v2, v1+v3, v2+v3 are linearly dependent.

I think that this is a true statement.
I tried proving it but got stuck.
Below is a photo of what I have so far.
I would greatly appreciate your assistance.

Attachments

• linearalgebraproof.jpg
    linearalgebraproof.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Please tell us the definition of a set of linear independent vectors that you use in your class (or textbook).

EDIT: Please do not post your question in the heading!

You never showed that any linear combination ow w1, w2 and w3 is a linear combination of v1, v2 and v3. You never concluded that the vectors v1+V2, V1+V3, V2+V3 are L.D.

A linear combination of v1, v2 and v3 is of the form c1v1 + c2v2 + c3v3, where c1, c2, c3 in F

You seem to have the right idea but your proof is far from complete.

You never showed that any linear combination ow w1, w2 and w3 is a linear combination of v1, v2 and v3. You never concluded that the vectors v1+V2, V1+V3, V2+V3 are L.D.

A linear combination of v1, v2 and v3 is of the form c1v1 + c2v2 + c3v3, where c1, c2, c3 in F

I fixed it.
Please see the attached file.

Please tell us the definition of a set of linear independent vectors that you use in your class (or textbook).

Linearly dependent -- when there is a nontrivial linear combination of a set of vectors that equals the zero vector.
If no such linear combination exists, then the vectors are linearly independent.

We did not learn basis and dimension yet.

I apologize. I fixed it.

Just to clarift: When I wrote, "I fixed it," I did not mean that I solved the problem.
I fixed it.
Please see the attached file.

Attachments

• linearalgebraproof.jpg
    linearalgebraproof.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 6
Is what I did so far alright?

If so, should I simply substitute b1+b3=a1, b1+b3=a2, b2+b3=a3 into the linear combination and get that a1v1+a2v2+a3v3=0?
The proof so far is fine. What do you think you need to add?

I need to somehow relate it to the fact that since v1, v2 and v3 are linearly dependent.
In fact, the expression I got at the end matches the definition of linear dependency of vectors v1, v2, v3.
The proof so far is fine. What do you think you need to add?