Linear dependence: explanation of method

HelpNeeder

1617646995672.png
I can apply this method, but I do not fully understand why this method is a valid way to determine if some vectors are linearly dependent.
Could someone please help me understand the underlying explanation behind this technique?

Thank you in advance.

Hello,

the notation with the matrix is simply another way to express the same facts. If you have the components of two vectors, then you can also transfer these into a matrix, that is exactly what is done there. Multiply once the matrix multiplied by the vector (x, y)^T, you will see that the same comes out. The notation as a linear system of equations is much clearer here, at least with several vectors.

Two vectors are linear dependent, If one can write one vector in terms of another, here in that little example you can obtain, that it is possible to rewrite [MATH]\vec{a}_2[/MATH] in terms of [MATH]\vec{a}_1[/MATH], just by multilpy 2 times [MATH]\vec{a}_2[/MATH]
[MATH]\vec{a}_1 = \begin{pmatrix} 4 \\ 6 \end{pmatrix}, \vec{a}_2 = \begin{pmatrix} 2 \\ 3 \end{pmatrix}[/MATH]See:
[MATH]\vec{a}_1 = \begin{pmatrix} 4 \\ 6 \end{pmatrix} = 2\begin{pmatrix} 2 \\ 3 \end{pmatrix} = 2\cdot \vec{a}_2[/MATH]

Last edited:
View attachment 26200
I can apply this method, but I do not fully understand why this method is a valid way to determine if some vectors are linearly dependent.
Could someone please help me understand the underlying explanation behind this technique?

Thank you in advance.
Can you tell us the properties of "linearly independent" vectors?

The "test" requirement will become clear vis-à-vis the properties (definition).

I would not use this method if I wanted to know if two vectors are linearly independent. However, I will answer your question.

Two vectors are linearly dependent if 1 vector is a multiple of another vector.
Say that v and w are two L.D. vectors. Then v is a multiple of w, say that v = aw. Then 1v-aw=0. This is what you tried and it is correct. I would just see if v is a multiple of w which if you think about it, is easy to show.

Meant to say that two vectors are linearly DEPENDENT if 1 vector is a multiple of another