Little help here

biscuitPor

Hello there,

Can you explain to me what was the step to simplify here? I dont understand what was done.

Attachments

• help math.png
    help math.png
    10.2 KB · Views: 7
Hello. The first line is a quadratic equation in [imath]\beta^2[/imath]. Maybe it was solved using the Quadratic Formula. (I haven't checked.) Are you familiar with that method?

[imath]\;[/imath]

Hello. The first line is a quadratic equation in [imath]\beta^2[/imath]. Maybe it was solved using the Quadratic Formula. (I haven't checked.) Are you familiar with that method?

[imath]\;[/imath]
I am sir. But its a bit complex, because I dont know whats the a, b and c. Did he simplify something before the quadratic function? For eg, I dont know what hapened to the w/4 before the quadratic.
If you can clear me out on whats the a, b and c I appreciate

It looks like they used the quadratic formula, but made a little mistake: There's a missing exponent inside the radical.

Did you type this yourself, and miss that?
Hi thanks for the reply.
I replied to a person before saying that I know the quadratic function, but I dont know whats the a, b and c and if he simpified something before the quadratic function.
Answering your question this equation is not mine. Im trying to learn by myself the constant propagation formula and other telecom maths. Till arriving this step I figured most of all. I appreciate your help in this bump

Answering your question this equation is not mine. Im trying to learn by myself the constant propagation formula and other telecom maths. Till arriving this step I figured most of all. I appreciate your help in this bump

My question was, did you copy the answer incorrectly? Because it has one minor error. Please check that!

I replied to a person before saying that I know the quadratic function, but I dont know whats the a, b and c and if he simpified something before the quadratic function.
I am sir. But its a bit complex, because I dont know whats the a, b and c. Did he simplify something before the quadratic function? For eg, I dont know what hapened to the w/4 before the quadratic.
If you can clear me out on whats the a, b and c I appreciate
If you know the quadratic formula (which includes understanding its meaning), then you should have no trouble identifying a, b, and c, though they are just a little hidden:

1659970223931.png

As for the w/4, I don't see anything of the sort there. But at one point they do multiply by 4, which changes [imath]\frac{w^2}{4}[/imath] to [imath]w^2[/imath]. Maybe that's what you meant.

If the quadratic equation equals 0, than the a value is whatever (β2)2 is multiplied by (in this case it is 1), the b value whatever β2 is multiplied by and the c value is the constant.

Hi thanks for the reply.
In responses 6&7 your question:
rmula.
I dont know whats the a, b and c
was answered.

So that you do not get confused by "complicated" expressions for a & b & c, you should thoroughly understand the derivation of the quadratic formula. This process will be very important if you want to progress into sciences (Physics, Chemistry & Engineering). For reference, go to:

So that you do not get confused by "complicated" expressions for a & b & c, you should thoroughly understand the derivation of the quadratic formula. This process will be very important if you want to progress into sciences (Physics, Chemistry & Engineering). For reference, go to:

I know that we are overworked, underpaid and that you were trying to help but what the hay does ax2 + bx + c has "x" in it twice, which is hard to solve mean? What is hard to solve?!!

On a more serious note, why do you think knowing how to derive the quadratic formula helps a student know what the a, b and c's are, especially if they are complicated. Just curious to hear your response.

My question was, did you copy the answer incorrectly? Because it has one minor error. Please check that!

If you know the quadratic formula (which includes understanding its meaning), then you should have no trouble identifying a, b, and c, though they are just a little hidden:

As for the w/4, I don't see anything of the sort there. But at one point they do multiply by 4, which changes [imath]\frac{w^2}{4}[/imath] to [imath]w^2[/imath]. Maybe that's what you meant.

I didn't copy the answer. Its a printscreen from a book.

Thanks for your explanation

I didn't copy the answer. Its a printscreen from a book.

Thanks for your explanation
You seem to have missed the key word:
I definitely wasn't saying it would be wrong to copy it, only that whoever typed it made a mistake.

I was hoping you had a correct original to compare it to.

One reason Dr. Peterson may have wondered whether those expressions were typed is that the radicand appears to contain a cursor.
Yes, that was a large part of my thinking, in addition to the fact that a book would have somewhat lower chance of having such an error.