Mixing Ratios: If my mixing ratio is 2:1 and I need 6oz how much of each do I need?

Bethanyleigh

If my mixing ratio is 2:1 and I need 6oz how much of each do I need?

***Hopefully this is the right place for this one. I couldn't find one for Ratios - and I do not know which section it falls under. Numbers aren't my thing.***

20230718_121737.jpg

***Hopefully this is the right place for this one. I couldn't find one for Ratios - and I do not know which section it falls under. Numbers aren't my thing.***

View attachment 36137

What are your thoughts? What have you tried? Where are you getting stuck?

For instance, you first noted how many "parts" are in "two-to-one" (hint: add), and... then what?

Please be complete. Thank you!

***Hopefully this is the right place for this one. I couldn't find one for Ratios - and I do not know which section it falls under. Numbers aren't my thing.*** (I would reckon Arithmetic" is the right place for it but no harm done. :thumbup:)
You still struggling with Ratios, Bethany? Oh Dear! ?

I'm just struggling to read what this is you're mixing up (I do hope it's not explosive! ?)

I think one thing is paint but what on earth are you mixing it with? It looks like "
fbetrol" or "Ploetrol"; I thought "petrol" at first but I can't think of any reason why you would mix paint with petrol. ?

Anyway, regardless of the substances, it's just the numbers we're interested in so let me give you a hint:

What if you were asked to make up 3 lbs of the mixture?
If you were to mix 1 lb of paint with 2 lbs of the other stuff how many pounds would that make in total?
And your ingredients would be in the ratio of two to one, wouldn't they? (2 lbs of the odd stuff and 1 lb of paint. ?)

So how many ounces of each of these substances do you think you would need to mix together to get a final mix weighing 6 oz.? (When they're mixed in a 2:1 ratio.)

Hope that helps. ?

I think one thing is paint but what on earth are you mixing it with? It looks like "fbetrol" or "Ploetrol"; I thought "petrol" at first but I can't think of any reason why you would mix paint with petrol.
I momentarily thought "petrol" too, but a quick search for "Floetrol", which I'd never heard of, made it clear (and showed that 2:1 is the maximum ratio recommended). It apparently controls the flow of paint.

I would recommend the "parts" approach two people have now recommended (more or less), but it can also be solved by basic algebra, so I may as well show how to start that.

Suppose you use x ounces of paint. At a 2:1 ratio, how much Floetrol would you use?

How much of the mixture would you get?

Set that expression equal to the desired amount, 6 ounces, and solve for x.

(In the other method, our x turns out to be the size of a "part".)

By the way, any of these methods assumes that the volumes add, which is not always true of solvents. So it's possible that you'd get a little less than 3 fluid ounces if you mixed 2 of Floetrol and 1 of paint. We'll ignore that, as we have no control over it.