need help for simplification rules

vijaykn

in this equation 10/x=40/100 why cant i simplify 10 and 100, please let me know the reasons and criteria for simplification, where should i use and where i shouldn't use.

you can reduce the fraction 40/100 to 4/10 ... don’t know what you mean by “simplifying” 10 and 100

From my understanding, you can't simplify the 10 and 100 because you're not multiplying them. You only do the "cross thing" if you're multiplying them.

in this equation 10/x=40/100 why cant i simplify 10 and 100, please let me know the reasons and criteria for simplification, where should i use and where i shouldn't use.
There are several ways to proceed. Here is one:
\(\dfrac{10}{x}=\dfrac{40}{100}\\1000=40x\)

I 100% agree with look again. Now take reciprocals and what do you get?

Or you can reduce the right hand side and read off the answer.

the question i am asking here is what are the rules for simplification , is the above example known as right hand side = left hand side, why cannot i cancel a numerator on the right to the denominator ( RHS) on the left (LHS), I see that before cross multipying simplification can be done. Hope the question is clear now.

when i meant -a numerator on the right to the denominator ( RHS) on the left (LHS), it is 10 and 100