Need help, it is appreciated!

MichaelGD3

Hey, well this may seem like an easy problem for all but me, however, this is confusing me.

There are (2) problems that look identical to me but have (2) different answer methods?

Problem 1: (-4t)4(-4t) / Answer is -45t5

Problem 2: (-8t)3(-8t) / Answer is 84t4

What am I doing wrong????

Hey, well this may seem like an easy problem for all but me, however, this is confusing me.

There are (2) problems that look identical to me but have (2) different answer methods?

Problem 1: (-4t)4(-4t) / Answer is -45t5

Problem 2: (-8t)3(-8t) / Answer is 84 times((dot)) t4

What am I doing wrong????
Please clarify what you mean by different methods.
If you post your solution then we'll be able to see what you are doing wrong.

Well, Problem 1: was (-4t)4(-4t) And the answer was -45t5 which I'm used to answering just like that, however, another problem came up (-8t)3(-8t) and I answered just like all the other ones -84t4 but it was wrong and the correct one was 84 (the little dot/times) t4, and it's not saying answer it in a specific way.

Well, Problem 1: was (-4t)4(-4t) And the answer was -45t5 which I'm used to answering just like that, however, another problem came up (-8t)3(-8t) and I answered just like all the other ones -84t4 but it was wrong and the correct one was 84 (the little dot/times) t4, and it's not saying answer it in a specific way.
One of those is a positive times a positive. the other is a positive times a negative. Which is which?

Can you calculate these?
`(-2)^2=`
`(-2)^3=`
`(-2)^3*(-2)=`

calculations isn't my problem, trying to figure out why one was -4 5t5 and the other 5 6 times t 6
You wrote: "another problem came up `(-8t)^3(-8t)` and I answered just like all the other ones `-8^4t^4`"
You made an error in calculations, that's why I gave you the 3 problems above.

(-8t) = (-1)(8)(t)

So (-8t)^3 = [(-1)(8)(t)]^3 = (-1)^3*(8^3)*(t^3) = -8^3*t^3

You can think of (-8t)^3 as (-)^3*8^3*t^3 = -8^3t^3 since (-*-*-) = -

Is that what is troubling you?

\(\displaystyle (-4t)^4 . (-4t) = \) pos . neg = neg
whereas
\(\displaystyle (-8t)^3 . (-8t) = \) neg . neg = pos

It's all got to do with whether the index (of the negative base) is odd or even.