Need Some advice on learning Maths

Levido

Hi everyone,

It’s been a while since I’ve come on. I’m a couple months after taking a level maths and haven’t really looked at maths seriously since I finished exams but want to get back to going through maths textbooks, specifically to bridge the gap between a level and university maths. The problem is I don’t know whether I should just dive right in with a post secondary school textbook or should I go back and revise all the topics I wasn’t fully sure of. I took further maths and the maths a level was easy to me but some of the further maths was harder. Am I overthinking this and is doing any maths work beneficial? I’ll appreciate any and all advice :)

Levido

Hi Levido, hope you are well!

If you've finished your A levels then aren't you starting university either now or imminently? There doesn't seem a lot of time for advance study. Or perhaps you're planning to take a year out? Or perhaps you have another year of A level study? Also which degree course (and University) are you planning? This information will strongly influence any advice given.

should I go back and [review] all the topics I wasn’t fully sure of
Hi. In general, that's a good idea for anyone who's thinking about taking a next step. In particular, university courses expect students to be prepared. Being well-versed in all the prerequisite knowledge puts you at the top of the class on Day 1.

:geek:

Or perhaps you're planning to take a year out?
Bingo! I’m taking a gap year. Sorry that wasn’t clear, I forgot uni hasn’t started yet.
Sorry for the late reply, the whole busy gap year thing was going on.
I am taking classes but none of them are maths related. I have plenty of ukmt material to go through but I find it tough to do the “serious” maths as I didn’t bring my textbook because we gave them all back to school.

Hi. In general, that's a good idea for anyone who's thinking about taking a next step. In particular, university courses expect students to be prepared. Being well-versed in all the prerequisite knowledge puts you at the top of the class on Day 1.

:geek:

I also struggle with the issue of low confidence so I spend too long on a topic because I tell myself I haven’t learnt it and eventually wear myself out not learning anything but just building confidence that i. Any advice combatting this?

With regards to being prepared, my university next year will be doing catch-up classes for a level further maths because it’s not a required to get into my university so maybe it’s not essential but I don’t want the extra workload.

I also struggle with the issue of low confidence so I spend too long on a topic because I tell myself I haven’t learnt it and eventually wear myself out not learning anything but just building confidence that i. Any advice combatting this?
After studying a topic find or make a test. If you "pass" - you are all set.

I also struggle with the issue of low confidence so I spend too long on a topic because I tell myself I haven’t learnt it and eventually wear myself out not learning anything
Additional practice is the solution to low confidence with specific concepts in math. Do extra problems practicing those concepts. You will know when you become confident; then move on to another concept. You say that you spend too much time and the result is not learning anything. Something doesn't sound right with that. How are you spending your study time? Can you give an example of a topic you've spent a lot of time on without getting anything out of it?

:)

Bingo! I’m taking a gap year. Sorry that wasn’t clear, I forgot uni hasn’t started yet.
Just an FYI: I did that between my BA and MS programs. I took a break and worked for several years before trying to hit a PhD program. Going back is not an easy thing to do. You have to completely relearn how to pace yourself. Sometimes taking time off can be good and other times it can be devastating. Just make sure to start in the Fall... I started in the Spring at my MS program and it was very nasty!

-Dan

After studying a topic find or make a test. If you "pass" - you are all set.
Easier said than done. It’s quite hard to study maths without the textbook, online material is of varying quality. I’m stuck doing interview style, Mat or competition questions. While they’re not bad at all and I’m definitely improving in the areas of Maths they look at overall the studying lacks the structure I’m used to and for the first time there’s no progress tests to check if I’ve learnt topics. Various topics were muted entirely from the alevels this year so there is some stuff I’ve never even seen before.
Can you give an example of a topic you've spent a lot of time on without getting anything out of it?

:)
I can give two examples. One is that we had the understanding mechanics textbook and each chapter was around 20-30 exercises. Working through that number would take over an hour and there would be like 4-6 of those just to a chapter. So learning about something like friction to an a level could have taken 6 hours which was really just coefficient and some basic limiting equilibrium and then some splitting perpendicular forces.
The second example would the differential equations question I put there. I spent so much time worrying I hadn’t learned the topic and falsely thought I understood differential equations when I did it. In the exams they mixed differential equations with something I can’t remember and I lost several marks there.

Sometimes taking time off can be good and other times it can be devastating.
So I’m not taking any more long breaks like this, If I continue with a masters or phd I won’t be taking time off. I was hoping now would be the best time to take a break because I can imagine undergraduate maths is much harder to re learn than just a level maths. Thanks for the advice and I do start in the fall semester (or Autumn for Brits reading this). I also have 3 months after my gap year back in England where I can take my studies more solidly.

I guess I’m hoping for some sort of structured content which would take me through a level and further maths (at least pure) and could bridge the gap to undergraduate and maybe cover some of it to alleviate fresher pressure. The issue I’m facing is that content is inconsistent between different resources as you might expect and it’s hard for me to get the sort of deep understanding of topics. The ones where you get a weird exercise in the book and for a moment you see something cool about the topic that isn’t obvious from just learning how to do questions for an a level (standardised uk exam)

Thank you everyone who is offering advice so far. Even if I don’t find what I’m looking for and have to tough it out it’s nicer to feel heard than have no one to speak to :)

Levido

If I continue with a masters or phd I won’t be taking time off.
I don't know how the Math programs work but typically in Physics you can go straight from Bachelor's to PhD. Depending on the school it will take around 7 years.

-Dan