Number of solutions for system of equations

bargaj

Hello!

I have a simple question about solutions, better said number of solutions for this system of equations.
[math]\begin{cases} x_{1 } − x_{2 } + 3x_{3 } − 2x_{4 } = 1\\ −2x_{1 } + 2cx_{2 } − 4x_{3 } + 2x_{4 } = −7\\ − 2x_{3 } + (−c + 6)x_{4 } = 2c + 15\\ − 2x_{3 } + c^{2 }x_{4 } = c^{2 }\end{cases}[/math]
I know it's only possible that this system has either 0, 1 or [imath]\infty[/imath] number of solutions, for different values of c:
[math]c = -3 \rightarrow \infty\\ c = 1 \rightarrow \infty\\ c = 2 \rightarrow 0 \\ c \in ℝ \setminus \{-3, 1, 2\} \rightarrow 1[/math]
My question is: for which c has this system at the utmost 2 solutions? Should it be only for when the whole system has only one solution or also when it has none? Thank you for your help!

Last edited:
I must be missing something: since you know that the system can only have 0,1 or [imath]\infty[/imath] solutions why do expect to find [imath]c[/imath] which leads to 2 solutions?

I'm sorry if the question wasn't clear enough. English is my second language so I struggle a bit to translate the assignment from my mother language. To expand on it: I'm trying to find for which values of c will the system have up to 2 solutions. Not exactly 2. I'm confused if this means that those values don't exist, because the system cannot have 2 solutions, or if this means that it can have 0 or 1 solution, meaning that the answer would be c∈R ∖ {−3, 1}. Really thankful for your feedback! :)

I'm sorry if the question wasn't clear enough. English is my second language so I struggle a bit to translate the assignment from my mother language. To expand on it: I'm trying to find for which values of c will the system have up to 2 solutions. Not exactly 2. I'm confused if this means that those values don't exist, because the system cannot have 2 solutions, or if this means that it can have 0 or 1 solution, meaning that the answer would be c∈R ∖ {−3, 1}. Really thankful for your feedback! :)
It may be helpful to show us the original language of the problem so we can try to determine what it actually means; but if it asks for the condition under which there will be "at most 2 solutions", or "no more than 2 solutions" (or "less than 2 solutions"), I would expect that to mean "0 solutions or 1 solution", that is, not infinitely many.

I'm not sure what you mean by "those values don't exist".

Maybe this will help. If there are two or more solutions then there are infinitely many solutions.