Orthonormal Basis

nasi112

58.png

I don't understand why

[MATH]\left(v_1,\frac{v_1 + v_2}{\sqrt{2}}\right) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[(v_1, v_1) + (v_1, v_2)][/MATH]
when I simplify the right hand side and compare it with the left side, I get

[MATH]v_1 = \frac{v_1 + v_1}{\sqrt{2}} = \frac{2v_1}{\sqrt{2}} = \sqrt{2}v_1[/MATH]

The notation [MATH](\boldsymbol{a},\boldsymbol{b})[/MATH] represents the 'dot product', i.e. [MATH]\boldsymbol{a}.\boldsymbol{b}[/MATH]Now [MATH]\boldsymbol{v_1}.\boldsymbol{v_1}=\binom{1}{0}.\binom{1}{0}=1[/MATH]and [MATH]\boldsymbol{v_1}.\boldsymbol{v_2}=\binom{1}{0}.\binom{0}{1}=0[/MATH]so e.g. [MATH]\left(\boldsymbol{v_1},\frac{\boldsymbol{v_1}+\boldsymbol{v_2}}{\sqrt{2}} \right) = \boldsymbol{v_1}. \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(\boldsymbol{v_1}+\boldsymbol{v_2})=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\boldsymbol{v_1}.(\boldsymbol{v_1}+\boldsymbol{v_2})= \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(\boldsymbol{v_1}.\boldsymbol{v_1}+\boldsymbol{v_1}.\boldsymbol{v_2})=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(1+0)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/MATH]

In fact you can easily write down the matrix representation directly from this line:

1620977459519.png

The first column is just what [MATH]\boldsymbol{v_1}[/MATH] is mapped to (in terms of the basis vectors): [MATH] \begin{pmatrix} \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\\ \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \end{pmatrix}[/MATH]
The second column is just what [MATH]\boldsymbol{v_2}[/MATH] is mapped to (in terms of the basis vectors): [MATH] \begin{pmatrix} \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\\ -\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \end{pmatrix}[/MATH]
So the matrix for H is:

[MATH] \begin{pmatrix} \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} &&\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\\ \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} && -\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \end{pmatrix}[/MATH]
or

[MATH]\tfrac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \begin{pmatrix} 1 && 1\\ 1 && -1\\ \end{pmatrix}[/MATH]

Last edited:
Glad it was clear.
(I'm afraid the book was 'mystifying' rather than 'demystifying' in this case)!

You're absolutely right. Some of the problems is very straightforward, but the book is solving them as mysterious.